when to shear

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok,, this is up and down.. I have been all kinds of answer for this one.. Can someone tell me .. do I have to shear my rabbits at six weeks old.. Someone mentioned that it is better so the fiber comes in better or something like that... then I was told not to touch the fiber in between harvesting.......Can someone please give me the run down on this.

It's line dependent. That's why there are so many answers.

If I don't clip mine at 12 weeks, the mat like crazy, not enough guard hairs. Guard hairs come in first, the coat is rough, but that is ok. The crosses go every 30 days, but the show dude is every 5 mos, and his wool should be around 6-8 inches.

I do not blow the coat in between harvesting, unless I am showing or it's getting near the time. A good french should not really mat that much, I did nothing to this guy from the time I clipped him till I noticed the molt.

I do. My kits have long cottonly jr wool, and it mats after 10 weeks, especially if they are still together. If I am not showing them, I shave them, and the adult guard hairs come back in first. Some take longer than others. My REWs are back in full coat, but the Blue is not. My Jersey Woolies have coats to rival my Angoras.

Only if you need to. I didn't clip the White Angora the first time, she was ok, but I clipped all the others.
I left one Jersey litter to test it, and I wish I hadnt. What a mess. If I don't get a ride to the show next week, they will be clipped down. Just enough time to grow back a coat for the winter.

Back