New to breeding, colony question!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabio1991fm

Reaction score
Hi there I'm new to breeding rabbits and this website. I have a few questions hoping they can get answered. I just bought four new Zealand's rabbit hoping to breed for eating. I wanted to know if i can just put two in a colony and two in two separate cages. My question is in the colony do i have to do anything but play with them feed them and give them water?

A lot depends on how your set up looks etc.. and some won't be friends no matter what you try. It's easier if they grow up together though.
They have a better chanse of agreeing with each other if they get lots of hideouts and stuff. :)

In most set ups you will need to clean the colony as well, at least the potty corners.. but then again if you fence an acre and keep two bunnies, that will probably sort itself out. But otherwise.. well, they'll need food and water and bedding material for when they have kits. That's the basic..

And welcome to RT :)

Welcome to RT!

Yes, Zab has the kind of setup I would want to be in if I were a rabbit. Let me ask a few questions:

did all of the rabbits come from the same place?
how old and what sexes are they?
are they related- all from one litter?
how big is the colony area you're thinking of setting up?
what are you feeding them now?

Answers will help the folks here guide you.

Inside or outside? and I would repeat How big and how old of rabbits?

Back