Harvest Moon rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This lady lives in Iowa, raises Flemish Giants. In colony settings. It's really cool! She posted a video of the setup just now and while it's a bit long for some, keep watching. It shows her hutches, and how and what she feeds - Lots of veggies and fruit and something called range cubes. Has a large dog out with the rabbits as protector. (I gots'ta get me an LGD! )

Here's her website: http://www.pet-rabbit.netfirms.com/natural.htm and the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv9-q17zD8Q

BTW, from what I've seen of her postings, she's quite successful with the rabbits. keeping it low numbers, but high quality.

Thanks Ann, I can always use some new ideas! :)<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:58 am __________<br /><br />Perhaps a bit too Pet-oriented (and expensive) for me, but would be helpful to others with a desire to raise in a more natural environment.

Oh, ehhe. She's not just pet. She shows and sells. The veg and fruit she gets are from the "out of date" produce at the local store. I'm not sure if she has a relative there, or if she just made a dealwith the manager. But she's for sure not in it for the money or for the meat/production.

Her rabbits are part of the family, now that she's an empty nester. I know her website looks a bit...house rabbit-ish, very true. From what she's said on the list, tho, she doesn't have a problem sending one off to freezer camp. She just likes to see them outside, in a large space for most of the time. She does cage them when they're getting ready to go to a show, she says. I think it's more to get them used to it than because she likes doing it.

since she's in a part of Iowa witha lot of farms, the hay is abundant and inexpensive. (like it is for me). That really helps cut feed costs. And during the summer they apparently never eat down the grasses because they have a lot of room (plus the hay and veggies)

I've really enjoyed this lady's input on a number of rabbit Yahoo groups as well. I think I've posted a link to her site before when questions of "free range" rabbits in pens came up. It's an excellent system, I utilize a lot of aspects for my own Flemish and colonies and agree with what she's doing.

I believe she's one of the ones gearing up to raise San Juan rabbits with the goal of eventually getting them standardized and ARBA accepted.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:57 pm __________<br /><br />Interestingly, I've found the dog to be one of the most important aspects of keeping rabbits in pens like this. The rabbits know they are safe from the dog inside the fence, so are less inclined to attempt escape, and the scent of the dog in the surrounding area seems to do wonders for keeping predators away. My dog isn't a traditional LGD breed either, but does the job just by merit of being a dog.

I love yard bunnies. Flemish are especially well suited to it. Less inclined to digging and somewhat less susceptible to flying predators.

Sally did a good job last summer sending any escapees back to the run .. and the rabbits sure knew when she was around ...
off to watch the video :)

The website is informative, in its own way---i had abit of a time with the incorrect words,but hey, the information is still good.

I know this is a very old post, but I really want to see her rabbit colony set up. None of the links or youtube videos are good anymore. Google turns up no pics for me.
Is she out of business?
Does anyone know of any links to pics of her pens?
Thank you!!!

Back