My new rabbit bit me.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I couldn't believe it.. One of three german rabbits bite me... Very aggressive.. I knew she was starting.. But I have had aggressive before.. but not like this.. and she is so pretty and beautiful fur.. I really really want to keep her.. But she charges with me and anything that comes in her cage.. I put food down ,, she jumps on with two feet with her mouth wide open... I have to wear gloves ... she bit my arm.. I couldn't believe it.. it has been half an hour and it is still burning.. I know what I have to do.. but I don't want to kill her.. but I have to.. :evil: :cry:
she is almost 4 months old.. THIS IS HER TWO FRONT TEETH. ..

2h7qxk3.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:02 am __________<br /><br />ok.. I am trying to figure out a way not to put her down.. I know she becoming of age for maturing and I know she is cage aggressive.. But I have to groom this rabbit.. I am very nervous with her... If someone else posted this.. I be saying .. freezer time .. I would never keep a rabbit like this.. I have rabbit that are very protective of there babies.. but I put that aside and there is a reason for it.. I am trying to come up with a reason for this one as I don't want to kill her... but I don't want to keep being bit either as that really does hurt.. I know I am trying to make a excuse here .. need some advise please..

Honestly....you know it's time for freezer camp...don't put yourself through months more of this. Ask yourself....do you really want kits out of her if she's like this? Good chances are her kits will be like this too.

I wouldnt cull her just yet. It sound like something either scared the crap out of her overnight, or she's starting to get cage aggressive. If you can get the upper hand then she might stop. I would start by putting a pair of gloves on and trying to switch her cages. Sometimes they try to possess one cage or another, and constantly switching cages is a good way to put a stop to that.

Also, every time you handle her, starting with gloves of course, back her into a corner. If you can get your hand above her and bring it down on top of her where she'll have no way of biting you, that would be best. Spend some time and go slow, but try to move to where she can't get you, but you can scratch her forehead. That always helps me. They learn there's nothing to be aggressive about.

Also, she sounds too young for it, but when mine get in their stupid teen phase, I usually get a couple of nips with the kits doing it just to be brats, or they try to play a little too rough with me. I usually thump them on the nose with one finger. I don't hit them, its just the same as tapping your finger on a desk. Very light pressure, but its usually enough for the to take the hint that Nipping is not okay. But if your doe is lunging, I wouldn't take that approach. It will probably only make matters worse.<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:17 am __________<br /><br />One of my best brood does started off with me like your describing your little girl above. I got her to the point where she ended up being a very sweet rabbit. She lives with my friends now as she was a mutt and I wanted to get pedigreed stock. Her kits have all turned out sweet, too. Several others of my friends have them.

she is cage aggressive for sure.. she started a couple of days ago.. I notice it.. I took my hand and always pin them down when they do that.. But that is about it.... I notice this morning she was just full force.. I always have my gloves ready.. these gloves are men work gloves they are well insulated...But she went up my arm instead as I went in to get her dish,, her dish was near the back of the cage.. when I went to do that. She attacked.. I always put stuff on there board.. Every thing I put in her cage... she would jump on it.. I pin her down she stops.. But I have to be very quick when I release.. I never had a rabbit so mean .. and so fast... her other to sister are fine. .. I don't want babies from a rabbit like this... I can move her to another cage.. I think within a week she will be doing it again.. I know deep down , I have to put her down..But I really don't want to..<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:27 am __________<br /><br />Really PSF.. was she as bad as I am describing.. I should video clip her charging me.. and then see what you say. I had her out once for brushing and she was fine.. but she wasn't like this then.. It came on within a week and this morning was the worse.. I am worried that her babies will be the same as her.. sweet at first ,, then hit the teenage stage and become monsters..

Your rabbits and your choice, and honestly I will not think less of you if you decide to cull her, but I did get my doe over it. And she was the type your describing. You did not put anything in that cage you wanted to come out in one piece. I spent the time to fix her because she was the only meat doe I had at the time, and I wanted her to stay.

I think by pressing her down you are showing dominance when she clearly wants it, so I think the problem will continue, but by scratching her forehead you would be assuring her as the being dominant rabbit. (Shell perceive it as your submitting to grooming her as her inferior). That doesn't mean that she will be aggressive because she is dominant, it just means that since she is secure In her rank she *should* stop feeling so insecure and trying to prove her place. Some of my does kits were the sweetest things. But if you feel uncertain that it will work, I don't blame you. I just wanted to point out that if nothing is medically wrong with her, there is another option. It's not quick, and it takes a lot of work, but its not impossible.

I read here on RT that sometimes moving them to a low cage helps. I haven't tried it, but did recommend it to a friend of mine, and it did help with her rabbit.

I had one like that, and no, no matter what I tried she did not get better. She was nice while she had a litter, and then she went pyscho again. You can try as long as you feel you need to, since they are all individuals and you never know, but I have decided from now on, I will cull immediately. Hostile is one thing, drawing blood is something totally altogether different.

yes,, sky you are right.. being hostile is one thing.. but drawing blood is another.. I would like to get one litter out of her.. but I don't think I can last that long.. I open the door and she goes up and backs up.. checking her board for any treats.. but if I put my hand in there.. she charges.. and before that.. she grunts..

I'd be breeding her. My guess hormones are kicking in. Breed her, see if she settles. She should be old/big enough to breed at four months. and then treat her like crazy.

It's amazing how Miss Biscuit chilled out first with her new big cage,and then with daily treats she's become a total lovey.

I have thought about it and so far.. I am keeping her.. I have to much money infested in these rabbits.. Angora are not cheap rabbits to buy.. I am not breeding her yet... I am not going to till the end of March.. yes it is far off.. I don't want any more litters right now.. I want the wool off the rabbit in about another month.. she is worth allot to me.. she is staying right now.. I have to wear heavy gloves and make sure she dosnt get my arms again.

Mary Ann,
I have an idea for you! Give her a [J] feeder,
this way you will not have to place your hand in her cage to feed her,
use a hanging water bottle this will give you more freedom to handle
her with the attention necessary. Do not allow her to bite you again!
You must be the ALPHA! When you use gloves the rabbit senses your fear.
Just go in with authority, pin her to the floor until she stops struggling.
When she does, take her out of the cage using as much force as required.
DO NOT allow her to achieve the upper hand. You must nip this in the bud!
YOU are the master, she is the servant. Be forceful but gentle and you
will come out the victor. If this does not work the only solution is Culling!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

thanks .. I just gave every one some corn stalks.. she got some. I opened her door.. she didn't growl this time, because she smelt the corn plant.. She loves the treats that I do give her.. Just don't go in and grab a dish.. So I think I am going to do what you said.. I will put a j-feeder on her cage... Just I really don't like them. but I will put one on her cage.. Her bowl is tIed down with wire.. I can give water outside of the cage.. I did pin her down .. But I do have to take her out to groom her... I have to wear gloves to grab her.. She is a fisty one. Thanks for the advise.. I will do that.

Have you contacted her breeder to see if the line has...ah..."temperament" issues occasionally? I know you have three of them; are they full siblings?

There is an aunt/niece thing I've observed in Berners (my recently deceased Berner was the "niece" in one of these dyads) where, on top of being everything one would expect in the breed, the female has a fiery, alpha-like temperament, much more so than your average female Berner. This is the kind of "temperament" issue I'm thinking of asking the Angora breeder about. Two girls out of the three in my girl's litter were "fiery"; the third had the typical laid-back temperament you'd expect. :)

It might behove you to put a plastic cup or tumbler on top of her cage or some convenient place nearby. I cannot tell you how many rabbits I've "bonked" aggression out of with just a couple of quick, sharp taps on the bridge of their nose. I'm not saying abuse or beat the barjesus out of the thing, but letting the rabbit think he or she can get over on you at will is not really a legitimate option as it doesn't really curb behavior or solve anything.

Back