Clipping nails and cut the quick

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albrst

Reaction score
Okay, I clipped Lego's nails tonight. He jerked on one and I must have cut the quick because it bled. It only bled a tiny bit. Do I need to do anything else to it? He was calm the rest of the time and we did them all.

Kristy :(

No, as long as he's in a cage, it will stay clean. If it keeps bleeding, flour will stop it.
Try using a flashlight to find the quick, or trim a little bit at a time.

He'll be fine. :)

If you quick him next time, I have found that Diatomaceous Earth will stop the bleeding if you don't have any styptic powder.

I have used flour to stop the bleeding.

I have one bunny I do that to every single time I clip her nails. I cut one nail into the quick. :( Makes me feel like a Bad Bunny Mom!!!

I really thought I was going to make it without doing it to her yesterday. Nope. Second to last nail.

Quicking critters happens to the best of us and I've discovered over the years that it's not going to damage them permanently and even if you don't have anything to put on it it will stop on its own, it's messy not fatal.

No, I never feel good about doing it but it isn't a judgement on my husbandry skills either. I've noticed that people are putting WAY too much pressure on themselves to get every tiny thing right every time.
It's an 'oops' not an 'OMG!!'
Ease up on yourselves a bit and this stuff will happen less.

There isn't much of a blood supply to the nails so physically it heals quickly. The bigger problem is that the rabbit may come to fear clipping. That would make it harder to do the job next time

I do it to the chickens all the time also, Even when I think I found the quick? I think Its and evil plot to destroy my ego!! But lol Ya Ive used DE in a pinch and its worked well

Plantain and yarrow will help stop bleeding quickly, as well. Good for people bleeds, too.

trinityoaks":2qj37u10 said:
Plantain and yarrow will help stop bleeding quickly, as well. Good for people bleeds, too.

Yarrow? Do you just crush the leaf and apply pressure?

MamaSheepdog":3da45imd said:
Yarrow? Do you just crush the leaf and apply pressure?
Yup!! Good for nosebleeds, too! I have dried yarrow leaf in my first aid kit now (dried works as well as fresh), and I also made yarrow tincture, which can be put on a piece of gauze and applied to the cut/nosebleed/etc.

Back