Colour question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proper2

Reaction score
Helly everyone
Did anyone here try to cross white with red, blue or black?
And what colours did you get, maybe even some pics would be fun :)
Thanks

Hello Proper2,
do you have a pedigree on the White you are using?
It might help to have a guess at which color
might be best to cross with.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Hello ottersatin, you are early up:)
I was just thinking in general
I would assume that if they are all pure in there genes you wouldnt need a ped, or maybe im wrong

Proper, there are two gene for white
one is the REW
the other is BEW

a red eye white is an albino, which is cc, or uncolored, BUT
it is a masking color, if you don't breed it recessively to another REW, you will end up with colored carriers, and hence...
if you bred it to a colored doe, you will get what ever it's (which is masked) and the does color make.

BEW are usually put as a markings mask, don't know why, but it's the Vienna gene, and half V, or carriers get funky markings, but are used to breed back to keep a BEW like strong. Oh and like the REW, the half BEW is mixed up even more, the masked color, the does color, and the muting weirdness of the Vienna.

GOOGLE rabbit color genetics, there are some really good sites

I would think a lot depends on the breed? Because you can get various colors in the background/pedigree of different breeds. I have a REW NZ that was bred to a black NZ...got all black. (there is only white or black int he backgrounds on that pairing). I bred a white Angora to a black and also to a chocolate..and got mainly blacks, but also chocolate, blue torts, and a REW.

I'm breeding a white American to a Blue, and will likely get some blue, and some white. (at least that's what I'm hoping...a mix)

If you bother to actually read a book like the ARBA handbook or Rabbit Production, and learn color and pattern genetics, it's actully quite simple to understand why you get said color, if in a thread you get lost, it might be because people who have learned the basics are going I have a A_bbC_D_E_ crossed with a A_bbChnLD_Es, what do you think I will get.

Latest posts

Back