found me a mini rex doe should i get? lots of pics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randtrabbitry

Reaction score
Ok here is the deal i found someone thats got pedgreed mini rexs for $25 dollars but the babys i dont see the rex coat and on some there ears look long like there mixed. Mama looks ok but dady looks big. Is it me or what if i was close i would go and have a look but an hour dive for a bunny thats not good that is a lot of wasted gas. Just looking for more expert opinion here as ive never had a lot of young mini rexs. Thanks
o how do i resize sorry there big<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:05 am __________<br /><br />Mama and dad i think i got spoiled on princess as she came to me with the best fur ever so soft and springy i need fill a vision lol that would tell me if there mini rexs

Attachments

• DSCF0981(2).JPG
    457.4 KB · Views: 2,169
  • DSCF0976.JPG
    472.8 KB · Views: 2,169
  • DSCF0978.JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 2,169
  • DSCF0959.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 2,167
  • DSCF0990.JPG
    473 KB · Views: 2,167
devon will be the one to ask for sure, to my uncertain eyes they look like they are pet quality.

the castor colour on the first one looks pretty good.

Are you looking to breed for the pet market or eventually to show?

Well mom is definatly way better than dad. The mom has good colour but yes the one castor doe baby took after her dad colour-wise(not a lot of rufus) With the black doe you don't have to worry about that if you stick with selfs. The whole lot do look pretty rough. Some of it may be condition, however, they do lack a lot of height and look very "hippy" in the pics. You shouldn't be able to see the hips sticking out.The black doe is hardest to tell from the pic because of angle and shadows and just black fur! Watch the tips of the ears, on 2 of them they seem nibbled or maybe some mites? Its very hard to tell fur quality from a picture as well as general health. This would include a teeth check, sore hocks, runny nose etc.If you find a nice typey buck you may better your stock from this black doe. I have seen worse and I think the mom did very well considering the poor quality of the dad. If you decide on going to see her I would try to get her down in price.

Ps The momma looks either bloated or very pregnant in that pic! Which may mean that she is about to kindle another litter and they may be a little more deperate for space?

From a show perspective I wouldn't touch them with a 20ft pole. They are all lacking depth, they are very hippy and pinched in the hindquarter. Very long bodies on them, and their ears are a little frighting (long and chewed). The fur on the other hand looks as though it went through a cheese grater. They are all Mini Rex though, just really, really, bad ones. A mix with a Mini Rex will always have regular fur.

If you're just going to breed for pets, I would be more concerned about their personalities (They look a little spooked in the pictures) Also their condition is very questionable.

I think there is better out there for the same price. I wouldn't pay more then $10.00 for one of those guys (If I HAD to buy one)

Thanks everyone for your opions your thought were what i was thinking to much money for such low quality bunnys. I finally had a chance to run by the pet store that had the mini rex bunnys found 2 does in with 2 bucks there almost 4 mouths old. Nice fur, color is good i think i do not know casters well. So for $20 dollors i got her im treating her like shes prego for the next month. Will get a pic online later today. Im am breeding mostly for the pet market but i want to try to stay true to the breed that way im already breeding for the show rather then having to upgrade to better bunnys if i decide to later on. Even though i mostly breed mutts im hopping to chage over to pure blood breedings by summer

__________ Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:24 am __________

ok pics will have to wait there HUGE lol let me see if i can shrink them

__________ Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:45 am __________

ok much better

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,137
  • 009.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,137
  • 010.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,137
this is the pet store bunny right?

Is she in moult? I see darker castor colour at her backend, but her top gives her more of a cinnamon colour. she has a pretty head and big ears. :) Now...FIND a broken buck, preferrably a broken black and that will sell to the pet crowd. :) they like flash!

Yep petstore bun She is not molting i just thought she was ether color changing or a poor example of the caster color. I have a the orange tri buck i will be using on her i dont think casters and tri's are to be used together but it will have to due for know. Wounder what colors i will get. Hopfully a few broken colors.
On a different note someone answered my add on craigslist has a 8 month old doe never bred that they will breed for me and sell to me for $10 figured i would go for it if she has babys and any of those are does i could get me a few more bunnys that way. And $10 is not much to pay if she does not work out. The reason she is selling her is she has her half bother and she does not want to inbreed. I figured 1 generation inbred is not to bad so i told her to bred them together. Anyway she told me she is a a blue color, She will be meeting me next Wednesday if all goes as planed

Her coat colour is changing to an adult colour, and by the looks of it she'll be a pretty decent castor colour. I'd watch her size though those ears are pretty big.

Even though Tri-Colour is technically agouti and hypothetically they should be able to cross fine but they don't always I would watch for castors with dark spots scattered here and there.

Latest posts

Back