Hasenpfeffer

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph

Reaction score
Just made this last night it is great :D .
Hasenpfeffer (Braised Rabbit in Spiced Red Wine Sauce)

1/2 pound lean bacon, finely chopped

2 -2 1/2 to 3 pound fryer rabbits, cut into serving pieces

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup shallots or onions, minced

1/2 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped

1 cup dry red wine

1 cup chicken stock

2 tablespoons brandy

1 teaspoon currant jelly

1 small bay leaf

1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary

1/8 teaspoon dried thyme

2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
In a heavy 5 qt. flameproof casserole, cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until crisp. Spread bacon out on a double thickness of paper towels to drain and set aside the casserole with bacon fat.
Wash rabbit pieces under cold water and pat thoroughly dry. Sprinkle pieces with salt and pepper, then dip into flour and shake off any excess.
Heat bacon fat in the casserole over high heat until it sputters. Add rabbit, a few pieces at a time and brown on all sides, regulating the heat so that they brown quickly and evenly without burning. As they are done, transfer the pieces to a plate.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the casserole and in it cook the shallots/onions and garlic, stirring frequently, for 4 or 5 minutes until the onions are soft and transparent but not brown. Pour in wine and stock, and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping in any brown bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the pan. Stir in brandy, currant jelly, bay leaf, rosemary and thyme, and return rabbit and any juices collected around it to the casserole. Add drained bacon, cover the casserole tightly and bake in oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the rabbit is tender but not falling apart. (Young fryer rabbits cook in about an hour).
Pick out the bay leaf, stir in the lemon juice and taste for seasoning. The sauce should be quite peppery. Serve the rabbit directly from the casserole or arrange on a deep heated platter and pour the sauce over.
Serve with noodles or German Spatzle. Serves 6-8.

Hey, Ralph... wouldn't you like to move to California?

We have a nice office trailer that could be converted to your very own living quarters. You could live rent free- but you have to make dinner. :dinner:

MamaSheepdog":18gdu0aw said:

We have a nice office trailer that could be converted to your very own living quarters. You could live rent free- but you have to make dinner. :dinner:

I was thinking the same thing.<br /><br />__________ Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 pm __________<br /><br />
Ralph":18gdu0aw said:
Maybe but my wife would have to come to. But she cook to :lol:

By all means :)
Got any kids to help me work the barn?

skysthelimit":e5w2sh6v said:
MamaSheepdog":e5w2sh6v said:

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm so glad we are on the same page, Sky! :p

How very kind that you are rooting for him to move to my place, too! ;)

And to think... his wife cooks, too... they can handle breakfast and dinner, and my kids can make lunch! :p

Back