Feeding containers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, 4 out of my 21 cages are fed using water bowls as feeders, okay, looked everywhere I could think of for a picture of them without success.

shaped like two half circles attached to each other, one end juts out of the cage so a water bottle (like a pop bottle) can rest in it.

Using those as feeders as they hold just about the perfect amount of feed for my smaller breed rabbits for one day (hold enough for 1.5 days if filled full).

I want to use these with my other rabbits but due to my lack in cages that work for does with litters I still want to use my j-feeders when I need to.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out just how to do that. Because near as I can tell, to use the j-feeders I need to leave my holes open, but to put up the new feeders I need to remove the j-feeders and they both don't fit the same in the same spot.

I'm a bit confounded at the moment.

The small feeders don't catch anything that drops from the roof of the portable garage. They can't be over filled by guest caretakers. So they have advantages, but how to do both without taking up any more internal cage space I haven't quite figured out.

I LOVE using these water feeders for my small bucks. Seeing how clean the feeders stay, being able to know just how well everyone is eating EXACTLY is a huge bonus, the ease of cleaning then when necessary...I want to use them for the rest of my buns...but they aren't big enough for does with litters. They aren't big enough for more than one grower at a time. So I do NEED j-feeders as well, but I don't want both attached to a cage at the same time.

So thoughts????

I know that J-feeders are meant to be on the outside of the cage, but I've been just putting them IN the cage. It's a little more work to open the cage door to fill them, but....

The rabbits don't seem to tryto flip them, or tip them over. Actually, the little arm things hold them up to the cage quite nicely. Or you could go to crocks when you need to and just leave the other feeders in place if you wanted to.

I have J feeders in all my hutches. When the doe's have litters with them I have the hard plastic Bird Dishes that have the hooks on the back that I hook in a different place in the hutch. That way they don't run out of food & everyone can eat at basically the same time if they want to.

The type of feeder your talking about that hold food & water sounds like what I use in my grow out pen's. The water bottle I use is a 2 liter pop bottle. It will keep them in water from a.m. till evening when I go back down to refill. I usually have another dish of food in there pen as well though.

does anyone have a picture of a creep feeder? hubby is intrigued by that notion and wonders on the feasibility of making such a contraption. :)

I don't like doing crocks with kits because they waste TONS of food pooping and peeing in the bowls and it makes me go "ICK". :)

For my grower cages I have a couple of really big j-feeders (the type that lay flat to the cage) and they work wonderfully.

For my meat rabbits I plan to do the screw on crocks (a couple use them already), but for when they have kits I like doing anything OTHER THAN crocks, which is where my dilemma comes in. :)

Latest posts

Back