trimming nails, tips please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenora C

Reaction score
Ok so both of my buns are plucked. Now I have to tackle the nails. Any tips on trimming. They really hate their paws touched! I bought a pair of Cat nail trimmers, I felt the dog trimmers I had were to big.

It may help to wrap them up in a towel like a burrito with just the paw sticking out. I hold mine on my lap kind of in a c shape, with their back against my stomach, and basically smother them trying to hold them and clip at the same time. I wish I had a better way to tell you, but I basically just experiment til I find a way that works...

I hold them like babies and tuck the heads under my arm pit. Still I wear the kevlar gloves, cause at least one will kick. I do use the same nail trimmers for the buns as I do for the dogs.

I use my cat trimmers or my smallest dog trimmers on the rabbits, whichever is closest at hand. Some of my rabbits just let me do it like I would a kitty, others don't like it. For them, I sit on a big cushioned chair and flip them on their backs, and kind of wedge them between my legs. Grab each foot, trim fast and without hesitation, then get them back in their cage with a tasty treat asap.

I have my daughter hold the rabbit in her lap on it's back while I cut the nails. We have very few problems this way. If a bunny kicks she just let it's go for a second. Then we flip the rabbit again and resume. I can cut them by myself but find this is much faster and nobody gets scratched.

Even my 'evil' rabbits can be trimmed easily. Just sit them in your lap, head under your arm, wait for them to calm and lift a foot. Takes time, but with 12+ hours in a day, there is time to get them to relax long enough to trim them.
Some I can flip, trans, and trim. But most have to sit in my lap, facing forward for front feet and under my arm for back feet.

PSFAngoras":2mlu9aqt said:
Sky - very jealous of you Kevlar gloves!! I've only been breeding for about two years now and my arms look like I belong in a psych ward!!!

Got two pairs of fingerless kevlar gloved from eBay. Less than $10. Make sure to get the ones with the thumb hole.

I dont flip mine.

I put them on a table and pin them against my hip with my left arm, their heads at my elbow, and use my left hand to lift a foot on their right side, kind of like a farrier does with a horse so i am looking at the bottom of the foot and nails and trim them with the scissor type dog or cat nail trimmers.

Then I switch them to my right arm and trim their left feet with my left hand

skysthelimit":1h6gizey said:
PSFAngoras":1h6gizey said:
Sky - very jealous of you Kevlar gloves!! I've only been breeding for about two years now and my arms look like I belong in a psych ward!!!

Got two pairs of fingerless kevlar gloved from eBay. Less than $10. Make sure to get the ones with the thumb hole.

Do you have a pic of these "famous"
Gloves. Lol just was wondering what
To look for what they are called.

I don't flip mine either. I just set them on the grooming table and pick up one leg at a time. They are generally wedged between my midsection and my left arm (I'm right handed). I just lift the foot up. I generally use small dog clippers, but have been known to use human toenail clippers as well.

It's simple really and quite easy once you get the hang of it. With a long eared breed like English lops, I have to do a LOT of toenail trimming. I can do a rabbit in about 20 seconds. Usually my back gives out long before my time does.

2 bun-owner":2di8wbw3 said:
skysthelimit":2di8wbw3 said:
PSFAngoras":2di8wbw3 said:

Do you have a pic of these "famous"
Gloves. Lol just was wondering what
To look for what they are called.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/18-Kevlar-Sleeve ... ~60_14.JPG

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!lMFG60jCsGLBR3Ck2B-Cg~~60_14.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!lMFG60jCsGLBR3Ck2B-Cg~~60_14.JPG
    933 bytes · Views: 1,160
luvabunny":s79xerl4 said:
I don't flip mine either. I just set them on the grooming table and pick up one leg at a time. They are generally wedged between my midsection and my left arm (I'm right handed). I just lift the foot up. I generally use small dog clippers, but have been known to use human toenail clippers as well.

It's simple really and quite easy once you get the hang of it. With a long eared breed like English lops, I have to do a LOT of toenail trimming. I can do a rabbit in about 20 seconds. Usually my back gives out long before my time does.

20 seconds luvabunny ...your hired!!!

Thanks every one I will try to use these tips.<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 pm __________<br /><br />Nails are trimmed. Not as bad as I anticipated. Football hold with head between my elbow and side. I wore a jacket so I would not get scratched It worked.

I agree, I have never been bit while holding a bunny under the arm, even by psycho Nip who bit a hole in my hand.

I've tried the table thing, but mine would definitely launch themselves off the table. Maybe not the Angora, but the Rex certainly would.

I did not feel them trying to bite but wore the jacket to protect from scratching. Jacket my help with biting.

I kneel down and flip them upside down between my knees with their head at the far end. Then clip each paw real quick with cat clippers and there's nothing they can do about it.

Back