Hay feeder?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASGSD

Reaction score
Could you use something like this as a hay feeder:

p88metalfeeder2.jpg

Since I'm planning an outdoor colony I want something on the larger size and more weatherproof than using wire.

Would the rabbits eat the hay that gathers at the bottom of this type of feeder or do they prefer to pull hay through wiring?

They'd eat it. The only problem I can see is a wad of it getting stuck.
Maybe chop it into peices? but that seems like alot of work, don't it...

I'd honestly rather the hay get wet and be able to air dry than to have it get wet and be able to remain wet. Allowing it to remain wet will result in mold at some point.

The wire-type hay feeders make good sense for use outdoors IMHO.

I was thinking of building something myself and making it about the size of a section of hay (I forget what you call the chunks you peel off the bale).<br /><br />__________ Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:36 pm __________<br /><br />Ok, so being able to dry is a necessity.

The reason I want to avoid wire if because I see so much of the hay being lost through the wire. I wonder if I drilled air holes in the metal - if that would allow the hay to dry if it gets wet.

You could always use the wire with something to catch the hay underneath. I agree with Shara that it would get stuck. If the face of that had wire, I think it would be better.

I think a wire rack with a roof over it might be a better bet for a flake of hay

I've given up on those type of feeders. I just use an EZ-croc and cute the hay so it fits in there. I tried using a decent sized tupperware, but somehow Princess would manage to jump in...and do her wet business there :(

Back