Are you making money or losing money with your rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since last October I spent $447.96 on 3125 lbs of food (I still have enough to make it till Decemberish). I spent $26.00 on health expinces.$100.00 on new stock. 4 rabbits died. and selling my rabbits I made a whopping $0.00..... That puts me at -$573.96 this year... Why do I even keep my records? Well I am completely starting over with new stock and am expecting a litter of BEW lionheads out of some champion lines I can probably sell for about $100 - $120 per kit.So it is looking up!

I'm looking at my forthcoming Adventure with Angoras (1 or 2 of them, not to breed) as a two-way project:

1) fiber
2) garden problem solving.

1) Purchasing angora fiber, when I can find it for sale (much more difficult than you'd think!), is expensive. I purchased 1 oz. of combed white Angora top the other day (this means that someone else took the time to prepare the fibers for spinning rather than leaving them as they came off the bunny) for $9.75 + sales tax, which around here is almost 10%. :x So my calculation will be: Am I spending more or less than $9.75 (realistically, $8.00--the "raw" fiber price) per ounce of fiber from the Angora?

2) But the bunny(ies) will be worth its/their own weight in compost, oh yes. Once I found out, on this forum, that they eat blackberry canes, my fate was sealed: I'm getting at least one for sure. You bet. I also have chicory which I've let grow out for seeds, so there are chicory stalks, kale stalks, chard stalks, etc. My yard is shaded by a Coast redwood and gets perhaps 4 hours sunlight a day, so we can only grow greens here, but we can grow them year-round. The need for compost is thus never-ending.

Solution: Blackberry canes in ==> compost out. Sounds good to me! Not sure how to calculate that, but it's a good deal, no matter what, because we cannot compost the blackberry canes, dandelions, sowthistle, and other weeds. Our BioStack runs too cool to compost noxious weeds like those; they'd just propagate in there. But if the bunny likes these, and they're good for him/her to eat, well, then! Problem solved! No waste of good biomass here ever again. I'm only sorry now that my dandelion-extirpation campaign a couple of years ago was so successful. However, I'm pretty sure that my next-door neighbor won't mind if I "dead-head" his dandelions! Oh, and the rose prunings, too...another biomass I can't compost but the bunny can. Lots of really great news here. :D

I'll just have to figure out a way to calculate the worth of the free plants; probably charge them as a foregone expense. ("Would have had to pay $___, but was able to feed XYZ plants instead, so saved $____" kind of thing.)

I'm up a lot, I should start taking tally of how much I'm up because I'm really not sure. My intro into rabbits was when I purchased a large burmese python- that needed to eat rabbits. Bought one at a livestock auction that week for $2 and realized how stupid cheap they where to get. I began going out and purchasing all the rabbits under $5 and bringing them home. I'd use the ugliest ones (as mean as it sounds) as food for my animals, mark them up a few dollars and sell extras to other snake breeders. Of course, with every group I'd get 4-6 animals that where exceptionally nice looking, friendly, and I'd list them for sale as pets for $15-20 each.

I held back a single animal of my own, a large male flemish giant cross who is with me as a pet because I enjoy him so much. His cage was purchased with rabbit profits. My initial breeding stock is all animals that stuck with us when the other half decided they where too cute to sell as feeders. I'm now on 8 rabbits in my personal stock and am expecting 2 litters soon from them.

I also frequently buy out some of the local breeders. Yesterday I bought out 13 5-6 week old bunnies for $65. Kept back 4 for myself. Sell the other 9 at $20 each = $125 profit with minimal work, that will pay for several bags of feed and some more cages... If you're having trouble selling rabbits, try reaching out to big snake breeders.... I have ~15 lined up to buy several hundred pounds from me a month as soon as I can get everything established..

Honestly- I have studiously ignored my profit/loss ratio. I tell myself that the freezer full of rabbit meat is well worth it, the garden loves the bunny berries, and my occasional sales are a nice bonus. :) I really should advertise more often, but haven't made that a priority.

Millinex":38imrw3f said:
I'm up a lot, I should start taking tally of how much I'm up because I'm really not sure.

You have my attention, Millinex. :p

I actually emailed a reptile breeder on Craigslist to try to generate some business, but no doubt they thought I was some AR nut trying to entrap them, because I never had a response. :?

So... what is the going rate for feeder rabbits? I am considering culling young, less thrifty rabbits from my litters. Anywhere from pinkies, to fuzzies, to hoppers, to whoppers.

My current kill method is to whack them on the forehead, which will sometimes cause an eye to pop out of the socket, so I am thinking cervical dislocation might present a more visually appealing product. How do you dispatch yours?

:welcome: to RabbitTalk, by the way!

cowgirl9768":3npssm2g said:
Since last October I spent $447.96 on 3125 lbs of food (I still have enough to make it till Decemberish). I spent $26.00 on health expinces.$100.00 on new stock. 4 rabbits died. and selling my rabbits I made a whopping $0.00..... That puts me at -$573.96 this year... Why do I even keep my records? Well I am completely starting over with new stock and am expecting a litter of BEW lionheads out of some champion lines I can probably sell for about $100 - $120 per kit.So it is looking up!

That food is it pellets? That is like $7.16 for 50lbs where do I need to look to get that price. Awesome.
I'm frustrated right now. I didn't plan things out and I'm in a 8 weeks period with no kits (5 weeks left). I keep checking Craigslist and there is pretty much nothing being offered for sale. I could sell them so easy right now. Watch in 5 weeks CL will be flooded lol

That is hay and pellets and calf mana. The hay makes it cheaper. I get hays for 4.50 per 70 lb bale.

I don't try to hard to get commercial with my rabbits although it would be nice. If I can break even that's great but it's important enough in my life that I would do it even if it costs me.

MamaSheepdog":2tvv50kx said:
Honestly- I have studiously ignored my profit/loss ratio. I tell myself that the freezer full of rabbit meat is well worth it, the garden loves the bunny berries, and my occasional sales are a nice bonus. :) I really should advertise more often, but haven't made that a priority.

Millinex":2tvv50kx said:
I'm up a lot, I should start taking tally of how much I'm up because I'm really not sure.

You have my attention, Millinex. :p

I actually emailed a reptile breeder on Craigslist to try to generate some business, but no doubt they thought I was some AR nut trying to entrap them, because I never had a response. :?

So... what is the going rate for feeder rabbits? I am considering culling young, less thrifty rabbits from my litters. Anywhere from pinkies, to fuzzies, to hoppers, to whoppers.

My current kill method is to whack them on the forehead, which will sometimes cause an eye to pop out of the socket, so I am thinking cervical dislocation might present a more visually appealing product. How do you dispatch yours?

:welcome: to RabbitTalk, by the way!

Generally speaking it depends on your buyers.. Local shops sell rabbits as feeders for $10 small, $15 medium, $20 large. I was selling at $4 small/$5 medium/$7 large across the board but as I move into producing my own feeders I'm charging $1.50-$2 a pound, generally I will sell out at this price point with extreme ease.

The thing to remember is- if you have someone who breeds big snakes, they probably won't want rabbit pinks/babies. I can purchase large/jumbo rats for $2-3 from rat breeders, which produce plenty easily in a small space, you can't compete with them in that market. Only when the snake hits 8-10ft+ do they switch to larger meals such as rabbits. I have a 13' female reticulated python that will put away a dozen rats in a week if I let her, that's $24 on the low end for that week.. Or I can buy a medium rabbit/large rabbit for $5-10 and she's set for a week, if it's a big meal 2 weeks.

Aim for giant constrictor breeders/keepers, not for smaller.

Up until the last few weeks we were definitly making money. We figured if we sold one rabbit per litter we were covering feed expenses. Cages had already been paid for by profits. I usually ended up selling more than I should have = not enough for the freezers. I had all my own breeding stock and rarely purchased anything new. We were doing so well that we decided to expand and breed for the commercial market. Now we are in the hole.... with the local buyer closing op shop. Time will only tell!! Either way, we have decided that you cannot really put a price on a "hobby" that teaches compassion and responsibility to our children and keeps.us eating more healthy alternatives to chemically enhanced, medicated, hormone fed, GMO store bought!

hoodat":32y03pin said:
If finding a money making sideline is your goal rabbits are a poor bet.

Anything dealing with animals that doesn't have a large commercial outlet seems to be a hole in the ground.

The idea that rabbits are a poor bet for money making seems a little off, as long as you are resourceful, and creative, you can make money in just about any way.. I make considerable amounts of money from many animals, rabbits included, find ways to cut your costs drastically, find creative ways to sell your rabbits, and keep moving up, let the profits build on itself..Right now I'm up a bunch. I started with just a couple extra feeder rabbits I had purchased for a couple dollars. Now I have 6 females, 3 males, cages, and some money to buy some more stock..

Good idea is look for someone selling cheap rabbits at say- $5 each, buy say 8. Hold 4 females back, sell the others at $10 each as pets/to other buyers. You just got 4 rabbits for minimal effort..

I don't feel like this is a hard market, you just can't eat all your product or of course you're "in the hole" and honestly just selling as show rabbits/meat alone is not always a good margin...

I actually don't consider myself in the red, because I would be paying more for meat at the store. As long as the rabbit meat I produce is less expensive than pretty much everything at the store, I figure I'm ahead... because without the rabbits, I'd be paying more for meat. :)

I may not be actually making money, but I'm spending less. :D

Miss M":1yzkinsv said:
I actually don't consider myself in the red, because I would be paying more for meat at the store. As long as the rabbit meat I produce is less expensive than pretty much everything at the store, I figure I'm ahead... because without the rabbits, I'd be paying more for meat. :)

Especially so when compared to organic meat prices; not to mention that there is no other meat that can beat it for low cholesterol and low fat plus high protein and mineral content.

Millinex":euxzo5ss said:
The idea that rabbits are a poor bet for money making seems a little off, as long as you are resourceful, and creative, you can make money in just about any way.. I make considerable amounts of money from many animals, rabbits included, find ways to cut your costs drastically, find creative ways to sell your rabbits, and keep moving up, let the profits build on itself..Right now I'm up a bunch. I started with just a couple extra feeder rabbits I had purchased for a couple dollars. Now I have 6 females, 3 males, cages, and some money to buy some more stock..

Good idea is look for someone selling cheap rabbits at say- $5 each, buy say 8. Hold 4 females back, sell the others at $10 each as pets/to other buyers. You just got 4 rabbits for minimal effort..

I don't feel like this is a hard market, you just can't eat all your product or of course you're "in the hole" and honestly just selling as show rabbits/meat alone is not always a good margin...

I guess if I was selling meat mutts. Selling pure bred rabbits at $10 would be a joke, I couldn't not make back what I paid for them, much less in food, nor would I be able to buy their weight in meat for that price. Might as well give them away free.

Still, once again, you need a market. You said it yourself, just selling for show/meat is not always a good margin. If no ones buying pets, or no one eats rabbit meat around, and or you don't show, you don't have a market. If you don't have an outlet for bunnies and by products, that seems to me a poor bet for money making. If you live in the country there's a market for hay, but no one needs it in the city, doesn't matter how creative you are, no demand = no market. If people are breaking even, or making money, great, it's not going to happen for everyone. I don't suggest going into it with an attitude that this would be a good side gig.

hoodat":365c155z said:
Miss M":365c155z said:

Especially so when compared to organic meat prices; not to mention that there is no other meat that can beat it for low cholesterol and low fat plus high protein and mineral content.
Yes, absolutely! :)

skysthelimit":3k36gd34 said:
Millinex":3k36gd34 said:

I guess if I was selling meat mutts. Selling pure bred rabbits at $10 would be a joke, I couldn't not make back what I paid for them, much less in food, nor would I be able to buy their weight in meat for that price. Might as well give them away free.

Still, once again, you need a market. You said it yourself, just selling for show/meat is not always a good margin. If no ones buying pets, or no one eats rabbit meat around, and or you don't show, you don't have a market. If you don't have an outlet for bunnies and by products, that seems to me a poor bet for money making. If you live in the country there's a market for hay, but no one needs it in the city, doesn't matter how creative you are, no demand = no market. If people are breaking even, or making money, great, it's not going to happen for everyone. I don't suggest going into it with an attitude that this would be a good side gig.
Is $10 a joke? Sure, but it was an example on how the process I'm using works. I have very good demand here, but there are other ways. There is always a way to profit, just because your market sucks, doesn't mean they all do !

Raise em, kill em, freeze em, ship them overnight UPS in a styro lined box with dry ice to buyers elsewhere. Just because your local market is bad/small doesn't mean there isn't a market to put yourself into somewhere. You have to look outside the box, let the little things add up.

If you get into it, and you are resourceful, there are ALWAYS people who will buy, that is with any animal.

bad arm, typing one handed ergo will be brief.

rabbits = profit.
i sell
- pets - most are private sales, some are pet store
- breeding rabbits
- show rabbits
- hides
- heads
- entrails
- feet/tails
- for critter feed
- manure - free if picked up and I have to do zero work, the more I handle it the more it costs
- what's left of my for sale rabbits goes on my table

I think being able to breed year round would help in the profit area. Seems right now a lot of breeders are not breeding and there is an opportunities for sales. I can breed year round as all mine are inside our house. I goofed though and am without rabbits for sale for 4-5 more weeks. I could have easily sold them right now as there is very little being offered for sale around me. Sadly my little profit is being knocked down until I grow out the babies.

Back