If you could create your OWN breed ...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASGSD

Reaction score
What would you 'make'?

I want something with Rex-soft fur, Magpie color in black and Thrianta red, sized between a Flemish Giant and a New Zealand, more meat than bone, easy going temperament, fast growers, awesome mothers producing large litters and easy keepers.

I know, I don't want much do I? :)

Oh golly. hmmmmm.

Size of flemish giant, great meat to bone ratio, hybrid vigor, fiber of an English Angora but with guard hairs of a french so they don't mat AND sheds only the fine fiber :)

okay okay. I'll settle for old timey French Angoras with the size of a giant something :D oh yes...with a PREDICTABLE, RELIABLE color genetics :lol: We just had a litter of kits from a black doe, black buck...and ended up with what looks like a pearl or opal. It's sure not black nor white nor himi!

If I could get Brazilians with Rex fur and every rabbit color known to man, I think I'd be in heaven.

I think about this a lot.

I want a Red Fox and an Alaska Sporting Hare. The first would basically just be a Thrianta red Silver Fox, but the second would be a full-arch breed somewhere between the Belgian Hare and the Checkered Giant in size but that comes in every imaginable color, and possibly has either a roll back or a shortish Angora-type coat. It would also be very friendly and highly trainable. :)

Id love it to have a French Angora coat with ears like an English Lop. Also size and temperament like the ELop, too. Super friendly and laid-back. Oh, and since this is a fantasy breed I want it to feed itself, fill its own water bottle, clean out its own cage and then do a few chores around the house. LOL! :)

I once saw a picture on Kijiji Belleville of a harlequin standard rex buck. He was soooo beautiful. I don't think he was exactly according to breed standards, because the colours were kind of mixed, kind of melted together like on my cat Marilla, only darker. Absolutely gorgeous. I wish I'd got in touch with the breeder because I've been thinking about that rabbit ever since. If I were to do a breeding project, it would be to duplicate that special look.

Rex fur, with a Lionhead mane, the size of a Flemish Giant with the meat-to-bone ratio of a Florida White. ...oh, and no-miss breeders, putting out litters of 10-14 kits each time. That is my dream-breed.

I want a Flemish size with the cals meat to bone ratio, NZ growout rate, and Satin fur. I would probably have to cross it to Pickles rabbits though, since they self-feed, self-water, clean up rabbit poop, and do housework!!!

I have created my own breed, uh sort of. The difference is most breeds are determined by confirmation and sometimes color, whereas mine is determined by health/vigor first and meat production per lb. of feed second. I try to maintain a variety of colors, but that is an aside. In general my rabbits weight a pound or two more than NZW, are selected for beefy shoulders and a "loaf of bread" body. Bony backs don't bother me if other things are good (most non-boney backs are due to an excess of fat as much as anything).

At this time, I have F4 crosses, starting on F5. While the first and second crosses were for genetic variability, and the next crosses primarily for type, the crosses I am making now are are taking much more time to determine. The does selected have to be proven to be good mothers for a couple of litters before they are ever considered. Then, the does are evauated on the "quality of their kits in general (growth rates as a percentage of feed consumption) Then, if the doe make the grade, I will select the best female kit(s) out of her and the process starts all over again. The last thing I need to do, is figure out a good way to messure the weight of kits to their processed weight (difference in coats and ofal make this more diffficult than one might think) then figure the percentage of bone to carcass. (this becomes a real pain, as the processed rabbit must be consumed individually, which is not the way we normally package our rabbits) I guess, I am going to have to take the rabits off feed a day in advance also, or I will get a difference coresponding to the time and amount each fryer last ate.

Uh, if anyone is intersted as to how I get the bones perfectly clean, http://cmsc.minotstateu.edu/museum/dermestidcolony.html

I want a rabbit with super silkie fur (or rex, I go back and forth) Sized a bit larger than the commercial breeds, but great meat to bone ratio. I want them 5 lbs at 8 weeks, and average WEANED litter of ten. Mothers would need to be excellent specimens.

I want them to make those weights on forage. I want as many colors as there are rabbits, with an empasis on color.

Oh, yeah. I want them to be very personably and freindly. :)

I think mine would be color over breed. I want a pointed white elop :)

My daughter wants to do the sive and ears of an elop but with the english angora wool all over it.

I was also thinking the size of a holland lop but with the rex fur.

You could create your own pointed lops...I mean, I know you couldn't show them, but a variety needs to be created before it can be approved...maybe a cal doe to an elop, breed daughter back to another elop? Something. hmmm....I guess that wouldn't work...maybe figure it out, though?

I want New Zealands, with rex fur, who have prime coats at fryer age! If I lived out of town I would work seriously on one or the other of those breeds, AND I would have a project developing a production strain of auto-sexing chickens that laid blue eggs. Seriously.

Lets see..
I think I would like a rabbit, that is the size of a regular meat rabbit (in other words a Med-big size where you can get a bunch of meat without it being huge) :D
And I also want it to have the coat of an English Angora, but it doesn't need to be combed.
I would probobly want it the coloring of a Dutch (since I think they are pretty)
Oh and of course mine has to be like Pickles too.

There is a lot more things I would like in my dream rabbit, but it would take a while to list them all. :D

eco2pia":2re3yd0v said:
I want New Zealands, with rex fur, who have prime coats at fryer age! If I lived out of town I would work seriously on one or the other of those breeds, AND I would have a project developing a production strain of auto-sexing chickens that laid blue eggs. Seriously.

Regarding chickens: You know about Legbars, right? They're in the works for importing them this year, so I'm told.

Heck, I'd take ANY rabbit that had a nice prime coat at 8-12 weeks! Wouldn't that be nice?

Yep, I have heard of Legbars, though having not actually known anyone w/ first-hand experience w/ them, I don't know which evaluations to believe: They lay like crazy--they are stingy w/ the eggs, they are flighty and temperamental--no they are great for backyard chicken keepers, they lay a nice light blue egg--no it is greenish gray...Still, it is hard to believe that the hatcheries aren't killing themselves trying to come up with a consistent blue egg layer.

I would want a medium rabbit with astrex fur. I would like to have all colors known to man. It would have a very fast growth rate. It would be a commercial (meat type) breed. I would also like it to be a breed that everyone wanted to buy. I would like it to be a breed that you could show anywhere.

Mini rex coated netherland shaped chinchillas. The coat on a chin mr is extremely interesting and I like the little netherlands. We already have a layout for the ideal meat rabbit. As close to ideal commercial type as possible and I've created mutts with all sorts of interesting colors and coat types who produced well and matched commercial type with meaty bodies so that's nothing new.

Back