Nestbox construction

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
For those of you who make your own nestboxes, what do you make them out of? I have lots of odd bits of plywood, but wondering what thickness would be best. Or, I have tons of old skids and could use pieces of wood from them - I'm thinking that might be sturdier?

We make our own nestboxes and have used both plywood and wood from old skids. Personally, I prefer the wood from the skids. Plywood gets a bit splintery when the rabbits chew on it, especially the thin stuff. 3/4 inch plywood is very sturdy and works better, but my preference is still with the more natural material. (No surprise there, eh?)

The next one we make will be out of skid wood and I think I'm going to use wood on the base as well instead of hardware cloth. Excessive heat is not usually a problem here given the summer rabbitry location under the big old weeping willow tree and the breezes off Lake Ontario.

My nestboxes vary in width from 1/4 - 1/2 inch. I use whatever I have available.

MIND...getting a nail into 1/4 inch plywood can be a tad bit tough.

Some I make with a cover, some I make without.

I've made them from...
let's see

plywood
skids
leftover planking
wire based with that wood that has holes in it
cedar
cherry wood (hubby got mad about that one)
OTS (OSB?) board (I think)

basically, whatever I have around that I don't have to mess with too much.

I've made them looking more like bolt holes as well. THESE keep kits quite snuggly in the winter. :)

I use 3/4 " plywood with 1x1/2 welded wire bottoms. They are sturdy as a tank, have been in use for a year and a half and I expect to get a few more years out of them. I spray them with Vanodine between uses. I've built them all exactly the same size because of the design of my cages and each nestbox will slide into any cage.

I use wood wine crates; also for chickens! I get them free from wine stores and friends. Plenty of room for kits, nest and momma.

Oh, and cheap too!

I make them much like everyone else. I don't use 1/4" stuff except maybe on top. I have always used wood bottoms with holes drilled in them, but lately I have been using 1/4" peg board soaked in, or painted with, boiled linseed oil. I don't like wire, but it is hard to drill enough holes in regular wood, and they get clogged easier. I prefer 3/4 lumber, but one doesn't end up with as many scraps of it as one does plywood, especialy wood 10 or 12" wide. Many of mine are part or all plywood. I put them together with sheet rock screws, and screw them in with my drill. They hold much better than nails and are much easier to remove if one wents to change a piece. I usually have plenty of scrap so I don't keep them longer than a year or two. I make one for each doe and write her name on it...even with good cleaning, it seems a bit safer that way.

I just use scrap lumber, it's usually plywood or 1" pine. Thickness wise...1/2 inch seems to work well enough. I don't like the 1/4 inch because it just doesn't hold up well when you screw or nail into it. I usually run a bead of woodglue on the pieces when I make anything, too. That way the glue holds it, not the nail (which can simply work it's way out)

All great ideas!

I currently have some metal nestboxes with removable wire bottoms. I might try to do something like that, so I can put solid bottoms in for the cold weather, and they're easy to take out and scrub. Still thinking here. :D

blah. the reason I posted above was mainly the floors. I've been using pegboard. really easy to cut to fit, and I turn it over after the litter leaves the box. After litter 1, it's curved down a bit..so over it goes,and then straightens out after litter 2 :)

oh, my boxes have a lip in the bottom that supports the pegboard up 1/2 inch from the floor. That way stuff drains nicely, and if it's cold out, I could stuff insulation under the board if necessary and still have some drainage.

Back