cleaning. no bleach

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. You can chip it off. It is still a pain in the patookas though. Only some of my cages get that- obviously some rabbits excrete more calcium in their urine... :?

In any case, I will make a paste of baking soda and apply to those spots, and then spray with vinegar and watch those "scrubbing bubbles" do their work before attacking with the scraper.

Yes, I get it only on some cages, too. And it is a pain! I have resorted to breaking it off with my hands, but that doesn't get it all off, either.

I will remember the baking soda/vinegar treatment. :)

I just went out and looked at all of my cages, and it seems the does are the worst offenders.

I scrubbed and pressure washed all of the cages a couple months ago, so there really isn't much there- just a bit at the welds- but only a couple out of twelve buck cages had anything at all.

My growout pens have never shown any calcium buildup.

I'd just use dawn and a pressure washer. If a pressure washer isn't an option then a brush and garden hose will suffice. I only worry about disinfecting cages if there is an illness or death, which I haven't encountered yet.

MamaSheepdog":2k3czqu4 said:
but only a couple out of twelve buck cages had anything at all.
YOU HAVE 12 BUCKS????? :shock: Just how big is that modest-looking rabbitry of yours? You obviously have more rabbits than I thought you did!

Oh wait... you did just recently venture into Beverens and Woolies. That's what's done it, isn't it? :lol:

ckcs":2k3czqu4 said:
I only worry about disinfecting cages if there is an illness or death
Pretty much the same here. I'll disinfect after any suspicion of possible illness. Like a dirty bun in growout. I usually don't do anything to the cage unless I suspect something.

Miss M":zd1m0lid said:
MamaSheepdog wrote:
but only a couple out of twelve buck cages had anything at all.

YOU HAVE 12 BUCKS????? :shock:

Well... er... not really.

I have six Rex bucks, one Beveren, one American Blue, one Jersey Wooly, and one Leonis Rex. That makes ten. Plus the two baby Beveren I am growing out... that makes 12.

But only the Rex are in the BunnyBarn. Two of the "buck cages" have does in them and four are empty, believe it or not. :p

Miss M":zd1m0lid said:
YOU HAVE 12 BUCKS????? :shock: Just how big is that modest-looking rabbitry of yours?

Bigger than you think. :mrgreen: I'll have to take some pics of the growout area...

I glad someone posted this. I hate bleach, it gives me headaches and makes my skin itch. I was considering Odorban, but I can't really remove all of the rabbits from the barn at one time. Taking down rows of cages or even single cages is pretty labor intensive. I've heard about the iodine . I have also used cl
oves, I make a rinse (that cures Athletes foot and other yeast infections).

I have a new product that is 100% botanical and hospital grade. I use it at my business as we try to run "green" and I not so secretly hate bleach. It is from Benefect. It says pet and child safe on it! I also use vinegar and the good old sun. :happysun:<br /><br />__________ Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:52 pm __________<br /><br />Mamasheep dog, I am going to try those scrubbing bubble. I have some cages and yes all does that have calcium yuck build up and I haven't been able to get it all the way off. Thanks!

Well I did dawn and quite hotwater. I double washed and scrubbed to be safe. But the hutch was like brand new. And it smelled great. Like green apples and sun. Mmmm. I have a friend who works at a hospital. I'll see what they use, and perhaps acquire some or something similar.

Latest posts

Back