Are you making money or losing money with your rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
I wasn't tracking my expenses initially but have since the end of June. We sold 8 rabbits, bought a sheet of corrugated plastic, 100 lbs of feed, 4 bags of bedding pellets, a used cage and some nic panels to finish another 3 tier rack. We are now $87.74 to the good woohooo. I'm out of rabbits to sell for 8 weeks though so that money will disappear August and September. I figure 6-8 rabbits a month will cover my expenses and allow me to work slowly on building my outdoor cages for my future English or Velveteen Lops. Currently our rabbits are all indoors.

I don't even look anymore, I just hold my breathe and buy food. Rabbits are not real popular around here, they don't really sell as pets and rabbit meat is even less likely to sell.

It's just a hobby. Some people party, some gamble, some drink, I raise rabbits.

Just a hobby for me too but can't I still party, gamble, drink and raise rabbits too!! LOL

Just kidding I don't figure if I'm losing money...I just enjoy raising rabbits.

I haven't been tracking start-up expenses. I know I probably should have been, but I didn't. It's a learning curve.

I know I've been losing money. Since it's a way to feed the family, I don't worry about it too much.

Unfortunately, wool, yarn, meat, or even rabbits don't sell very well around here. I just do it for fun. Maybe someday they'll pay for themselves. I also need to stop being a sucker and letting people get free rabbits from me. I've lost a LOT of money that way. Rather just put them in the freezer than give them away for free anymore.

I am not losing Money,
but I am not really making any either.
i have had Rabbits since 1989 and it constantly Ebbs and Flows.
Sometimes I am making and other times I m losing, but it all
works out in the end. If I didn't enjoy working with my Rabbits
I would have sold them ALL a long time ago.
My rabbits usually pay for their food, and sometimes
a few extra rabbit necessities. there are times when I have to
Rob Peter to pay Paul but that's not often enough to make me
"toss in the towel". I always seem to come out on top!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

;) I'm new but I think a lot of costs are in start up,and breeds Giants in Az are way expensive, Flemish go for 100.bucks a pop.meat mutts are about 30 bucks pets-ie-small breeds go for 15 to 30.pedigree and show way more.

I am winning.. I have the rabbits and I am able to have them.. So to me I am winning. For a while it didn't look good for me.. And had surgery.. And all better... So ya.. I don't smoke ,or drink, party, or go out anywhere really..Raised my kids.... so now it is me time. ME and my rabbits..

If my rabbits were a business or a way to feed my family, they would be a losing proposition. Like some others here, I don't see it as losing though. I really enjoy the breeders as pets and like the meat from those slated as livestock. It's also a learning experience.

We've put a considerable amount into startup, research and repairs and had some incredibly expensive meals. We don't sell, so there's no offset.

Overall, I feel like I'm ahead. :)

skysthelimit":1cakkzm8 said:
I don't even look anymore, I just hold my breathe and buy food. Rabbits are not real popular around here, they don't really sell as pets and rabbit meat is even less likely to sell.

It's just a hobby. Some people party, some gamble, some drink, I raise rabbits.

Just had this conversation with a friend the other day...my aunt gets her nails done every two weeks, my dad is addicted to sailing, and I keep rabbits. Yep, my rabbits are a money-pit, sucking down what little cash I earn...but as I told my friend, it could be worse! Instead of rabbits, my vice could be cocaine or something, LOL!!!!!!!

I intended in the beginning to keep track of money saved in meat by raising rabbits...and quickly gave THAT up. :lol: If I didn't enjoy them it would NOT be worth it!!!!!

I don't see how after paying for cages and a few vet bills how I could ever possibly make money-- Money wise I am so far down in the hole I would have to suddenly breed the most amazing award winning rabbits in New Zealand and sell them at $100 or more each. But I agree with what Kyle says- I could have worse vices like cocaine or other hobbies that suck up all my money- there's way worse ways to blow money- One of my friends is an artist- that's her hobby and we compared who is losing the most on our hobby- I spent less than $2000 to start up with my rabbits, and they take up half a garage space wise. My friend rents studio space/gallery space for her painting hobby $500 a month (you have to have space and a sink to do artwork), and she has computers and printers worth $12,000 to make prints of her work plus buys paint, canvas, and frames (which are really expensive) - she sells art work and makes about $3000 to $10,000 a year. If you average it all out she loses lots of money too.

Just as it is in starting/getting into any business,
You rarely show a profit until after the first three years.
You have to take into consideration the heavy cost of start-up!
There are cages and all of the other necessary equipment,
Then there's the FEED and learning materials, like books or
computer programs. If you gain the knowledge and find the right sources
for sale you can and WILL eventually show enough profit to make
the raising and caring for rabbits an enjoyable pastime.

Definitely making money, even with investing in cages and other needs. I'm now at max capacity cage wise (but have 8 empty holes...to fill up with keepers!) so I won't be spending much more on anything except feed at this point. The hobby is definitely paying for itself at this point, and I hope to continue making a little extra. With a house full of kids extra cash is always a plus! LOL

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2bofabx3 said:
it could be worse! Instead of rabbits, my vice could be cocaine or something, LOL!!!!!!!

That's what I tell my mom when she says I spend too much money on animals. At least it's s clean hobby, and they do have some type of resale value. If I had kids and was spending money on them no one would say anything...

ottersatin":200dlse6 said:
If you gain the knowledge and find the right sources
for sale you can and WILL eventually show enough profit to make
the raising and caring for rabbits an enjoyable pastime.

This is why I don't breed my dogs, and I get a lot of flack from the GS showing community. I am rotten at advertising and sales, I couldn't even sell candy as a student.

Back