Dogs eating rabbit poop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopes Mommy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new to the site - I have a beautiful Thrianta bunny named Hope - she is just a baby - I also have 2 Maltese dogs and a cat - one of my dogs loves to follow Hope around and eat her poop. I just wanted to know from experienced owners if this i :bunnyhop: s ok

welcome............It isn't ok to eat poop.. but dogs will be dogs.. They will eat all kinds of poop...try to move the rabbit somewhere else or catch the dropping ... You can try to give the dog some rabbit pellets and see if it will eat that instead.. It might be the greens he is after.

I'm having a similar problem, but on a bigger scale. Two of my three dogs are eating rabbit poop from the poop heap that I pile up when I shovel out the rabbitry. One in particular seems to like it a little too much. I started the heap when the compost bins ran out of room.

I shoo them away when I catch them there, but I'm not there most of the time.

They don't seem to be harmed by it, but it sure isn't helping their breath.

They eat the rabbit poo, the cat poop the sheep poop. I just try to stay on top of it. And they will eat the rabbit pellets out of the hoppers if possible.

Trying to get their Vit B I suppose.

It's not ok to eat another animals waste products BUT Rabbit poop is mostly harmless and your dogs won't catch worms from it. After eating the poop I wouldn't share an ice real cone or anything with the dogs as the feces are full of bacteria like e.coli etc...

Eventually the novelty of poop should fade and your dogs will stop eating it. Every new dog to my farm has had a feeding frenzy for a week or so and then they eventually stop.

My german shepard seems to think the slant board trough is her personal buffet bar.

I agree, it's probably a greens/vitamin thing, but knowing dogs, it could just be..."Ooh, poop! I'm hungry!".

Dood":2zyq1fdd said:
Eventually the novelty of poop should fade and your dogs will stop eating it. Every new dog to my farm has had a feeding frenzy for a week or so and then they eventually stop.

Mine's have been doing it for 3 years.

I have three dogs.. And they go under the cages,, Thank god they don't eat rabbit poop.. bUT IF THERE is any rabbit pellets on the ground because of a rabbit either dumps its dish or scratches it out.. the dog will eat it and leave behind the poop.. but again I make my dog food for them ...Maybe that is why

Hope is still a baby and I just started her on litter box trainning in her cage- however when she is free running around the house with the dogs and has some droppings that is when just my one dog Lexi (maltese) will eat it. The other dog does not.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":23t2xf2u said:
I have three dogs.. And they go under the cages,, Thank god they don't eat rabbit poop.. bUT IF THERE is any rabbit pellets on the ground because of a rabbit either dumps its dish or scratches it out.. the dog will eat it and leave behind the poop.. but again I make my dog food for them ...Maybe that is why

My dogs are raw fed.

I just think mine are disgusting.

My dad's dog loves to sneak over to my rabbitry corner and eat poop...I holler at him when I see him going over there, both because not all of my rabbits love having a large dog rooting around under their cages, and because eating poop is gross. My dad asked me the other day why I bother...turns out he thought the dog was just looking at the rabbits, he had no idea he was EATING CRAP. I laughed at the faces my dad made. ;)

I found out it isnt the poop my dog is eating, she is looking for any dropped pelletts.
she is crazy about the pelletts, and she has plenty of greens around to eat.

Latest posts

Back