Angry possible first time doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
We have a young doe that was breed about a week or so ago. Since that time she has gone from a very loving rabbit (handled since birth by us) to a mean rabbit. Could this be her hormones? She is very aggressive when you try to take her out of her cage. Once you get her out though she shows no aggression at all. Her parents are both super friendly and have wonderful dispositions.

That does sound like hormones to me. actually I have one or two that get kinda mean when they are expecting once the hormones kick in. I actually tried something new with one and it seems to have helped. I gave her a nest box as soon as she started being hormonal and it seems to have helped calm her a little. It isn't a huge difference but better then she was by a decent bit from what I could tell. If you give a nest box early you have to watch though to be sure she doesn't soil it so its a bit extra work and you have to remove it if she does soil it, but I think maybe they get mean because hormones tell them fine a nesting spot and without one it agitates them so it might be worth trying for you :)

Yeah, what everyone else said. I've got some that are fine until the kits are born and then they are very protective for a couple of days or weeks - others could care less if I'm in the pen as soon as they give birth. Some are nasty weeks three and four and then calm down as soon as I put the nestbox in. It effects different does different ways. Sure makes it interesting, doesn't it?

Hopefully she will do well assuming she took. She is in a three cage rack right now. When we built the rack I was out of lock type bowls. We has some 1" x 2" and 2" x 2" left over and made some wooden feed bins for the cages. The other rabbits haven't chewed them much, but the aggressive doe is going to town on hers.

Latest posts

Back