Colony problems

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
So I lost a litter, and while my mom thinks the doe killed them because of me touching them, I am thinking what actually happened wasSpooky killed them. The hay was very damp in the area of the nest, and she is a very dominate doe who doesn't seem thrilled to share space with Maple.

My question is, do you think there is a reasonable chance they will begin to get along within a month? They should both be kindling within that time...Maybe if they get used to eachother....I don't know. I am playing with pulling Spooky out of the colony. She's really a b word to the other does. And she is also my worst meat doe. Any ideas to help them sort throught their issues?

I'd suggest pulling Spooky out and giving her her own cage. She's more of a pet for you anyway, isn't she? You'll be able to play with her and pet her more easily in a cage and the other does will likely do better without her.

I agree. Pull Spooky out now. give her a single cage somewhere and a nest box. I've been seeing a pattern both with my own colonies (there are 3 colonies now) and with others who have colonies: there will always be a dominate doe, BUT...if she's in general a playful rabbit, things will go well. If there is a territorial problem or she just nasty, she'll likely try to take over or kill other does' kits.

If the does grew up together (as in, they were all from the same colony or nest) they get along SPLENDIDLY. It's when you put in adults together that you have to watch carefully come kindling time. They seem to revert to old habits "MINE!! MINE!!!! GET OUT!!!" I suppose it's a hormonal thing?

I tend to agree, I couldnt off her, (she is a pet) but it sounds like the best for everybun is to pull her. *sniff* I was kinda hoping I could save her there, since I like the idea of it, but I would rather have kits. That was alot of money that died. Over a hundred dollars. I mean, that litter would have gone to feed and bills. :grit:

So I guess she goes back to lonely life in a cage, lol. at least i know she will do fine (after all, rabbits have lived in cages for ages).<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:06 am __________<br /><br />And I did save the one doe. She can take spookies place. Besides, she is half Satin, so will be a better meat breeder than her mommy.

My colony is doing okay, but there is no doubt that Alice, our matriarch, rules the roost. She has kits that are about 9-10 days old in one of the tunnels and she keeps the entrance stuffed with hay to keep them safe. The other two does, her daughters, may or may not have been bred. My plan is that if they don't produce by spring I will send them to camp and hopefully replace them with two from Alice's current litter. She will still be dominant, but I think she will be more tolerant of daughter-does that she has never been separated from than ones that had become virtually strangers until they were reunited in the colony.

Spooky was in a sort of colony before, with a doe kit she had been separated from, and she eventually allowed her to be part of the family. It took FOREVER, though. That was pouf. I was afraid when I found the litter that she won't be good, but maybe I can keep her with her own daughter, and see if she kills her kits. Lousy way to experiment, but it may give some insight, at least, and allow Maple to raise a litter.

It probably is that spooky is just too dominate. I'll be interested in seeing how she deals with her daughter delivering. If there were any problems, she would end up a pet or dinner (hate thinking of that...maybe I can find a kid who wants her, instead). But then there isn't a pet market here. Meat and show. So I guess if I get rid of her, she should be made into dinner. Maybe after another litter. I know in my heart it would be detrimental to my herd to keep her in it. I am kinda hoping at least for a VM doe from her, as I still have dreams of Blue-eyed whites...

Latest posts

Back