shedding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my bunny is having a really heavy shed and i am concerned that he may lose his proper color, he is an opal he is about 8 months old and he just got the perfect color but then started shedding a very heavy amount, will it grow back the same color as before ? please help

I have a doe that goes bald when she molts, or gets bald patches, at least. I am sure his color will be the same once it grows in. But even if it didn't, I am not sure what you could do about it...<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:30 am __________<br /><br />I have a doe that goes bald when she molts, or gets bald patches, at least. I am sure his color will be the same once it grows in. But even if it didn't, I am not sure what you could do about it...

Comb every day to help avoid hairballs, they can really mess a bunny up, otherwise, enjoy the show, the heavy ones can be rather impressive, I have a buck that whole patches just come off leaving the new stubble fur, kinda scary when half your bunny comes off in your hand.

Jack":2gsmiays said:
Comb every day to help avoid hairballs, they can really mess a bunny up, otherwise, enjoy the show, the heavy ones can be rather impressive, I have a buck that whole patches just come off leaving the new stubble fur, kinda scary when half your bunny comes off in your hand.

LOL, Frank does that too! He lost all his hair down along his spine first this fall, just short sleek stubble underneath like a reverse mohawk.

These Thriantas for the most part do NOT seem to be easy molters. I've had a heck of a time getting some of them to blow their dead coats, and then other times it will just come out in patches. (But of course not all at once.) Selecting for that in future stock, for sure.

Not too sure how molt will affect an opal, but my Pie started to shed out his color about a month ago. He is a gorgeous broken blue tort... the tort part of his coloring was a striking orange shade, I completely loved it. Then about a month ago he started to develope a blue spot on his back and that spot just kept getting bigger and bigger and the orange fell away. I brush him constantly and he still has some orange tort patches on his haunches, but not atall like before. The pattern of his coat changed considerable (that is, all but the broken white patches... those havent altered atall). I dont suspect his coat coloring will be exactly what it once was- this seems to be his "adult" coat now (he is also at the 8month mark, too... will be 9 months Janary 4th).

thank you all so much your advice has surly calmed my nerves i have noticed that the shedding has slowed down to maybe 4 brush fulls every day

Back