How to Groom a new rabbit with little stress?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyBeluga

Reaction score
I have a new Lionhead , she's 4 months old and I got her from a little farmers store. She's cute and doing good but her fur is a little matted from lack of grooming at the store and her feet are really dirty! I'd like to groom her, but she is new and doesn't know me yet! Is there any way I can do this without stressing her out? Also what is safe on rabbit fur for cleaning. Are baby wipes okay to clean her feet? They're brown (and she's white!!!) and I'm sure that's not sanitary. Thanks guys! Look forward to hearing from someone!

Rabbits often freeze when held very snugly so you can try slipping a snug fitting sock over her head and front part of her body, or wraping her tighly in a towel or sheet.

It would be better to cut out the tangles rather than pull on them, she may look funny for a while but it will grow back. She may be going through a molt and is shedding so she has a lot of extra fur coming off.

I would not use baby wipes as she may lick her feet and eat the cleaning residue.

I would groom her first (water will make her knots tighter) and the next day soak her feet in a shallow pool of warm water and use a mild soap to wash her dirt off.

Back