New Zealand litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Devon's Mom Lauren":1q06kqdb said:
lol I meant the fur is white. Our black rabbit's skin is white too but the fur inside is black, although it just goes around the edges a bit.

Whew! That's a relief. I was thinking that you meant your brokens had black skin inside the ear and I had no idea how I was going to breed that gene in! :?

Yes, the broken black NZ should have full black fur on the ears. One of these kits and maybe another are definitely nice black ears. The other two have some white hairs, so they are not show quality. I'll take some more pics on the weekend when it's above freezing here (maybe).

None of my blacks have any white in the ears, so I think those that do probably wont meet the standard... they may get DQ'd.... I don't folow shows or standards any more, so I'm not sure.

Glad to see you back....thorugh I had driven you away with all my genetic questions
:cool:

Usually when inside ear colour is white or different from the body they are broken agoutis or otters etc. Was just wondering if there was some sort of agouti pattern in NZW's? NZR's are definatly non extension agouti so a broken red would have the whitish fur for sure. The kits may grow out of the white fur as they get older. However I find amazing how consistant the broken pattern is in the litter,thats a hard thing to set in brokens!! Congrats!

avdpas77":1v1k1ppz said:
None of my blacks have any white in the ears, so I think those that do probably wont meet the standard...

Devon's Mom Lauren":1v1k1ppz said:
Usually when inside ear colour is white or different from the body they are broken agoutis or otters etc.

Ok, just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing, here is a photo of my black New Zealand buck and a photo of my broken New Zealand buck. As you can see, both rabbits have black fur on the ears and white skin inside. There is no white fur on the inside of the ear, the white area is skin.

So are we all talking about white skin or white fur?

View attachment blackEar.jpgView attachment brokenEar.jpg

Fur.Your pics show correct ear colour; This standard is for self and broken self. :D :D Now if the "broken" that was introduced to the NZ's was say, a broken otter or martin, then they would show white fur inside their ears, if they recieved that gene that is.I was just curious about it. The kits are very well marked and definatly not charlies so that little bit of white hair may dissappear when they moult out their baby coat.

Ah, I think I understand :idea:

I looked at some photos of black and blue 4 day old kits and their ears do appear darker in colour than the broken litter at the same age. Which is odd because in person, their ears appear to have black fur inside. Two kits definitely have some white hairs on the BACK of the ears - non-show quality there - but they all look fine inside. I'll have to keep taking photos as they grow up since the coloration appears more clearly in a photo than in reality.

Thanks for the clarification, it helps me understand what to watch for!

Latest posts

Back