Doe won't re-breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
Have a 8 month old Rex doe. She lost her first litter, gave her a couple of days break then tried to re-breed her. Have been trying to re-breed her for 2 weeks and she will not breed. I have tried a couple different bucks but she will not submit. Any suggestions??

The only thing that has helped me was adding a tablespoon of cider vinegar to their gallon of water. 5-6 days of that, and they eventually lifted.

guinnessguy":2qwmygzo said:
The only thing that has helped me was adding a tablespoon of cider vinegar to their gallon of water. 5-6 days of that, and they eventually lifted.
Never heard of this before. What is it about cider vinegar that makes it a breed stimulant for does?

I'm not sure what the cider vinegar actually does, but it seems to stimulate romance. I had read it online, in one of the hundreds of sites I visited when I was having "breeding" issues.

Thanks for the input guinnessguy... if it works, then it works, who cares why, right? LOL! :)

Pheasant...
was wondering, cant you manually lift the doe for the buck, or is she too temperamental?

Pickles, I have tried to manually lift the doe but she is too temperamental. Can't really use the cider viniger in her water, unless I give it to all the rabbits. the rabbits are on an auto water system.

it is fine and actually beneficial to give it to all the rabbits... in fact, while you're at it, you can dilute a teaspoon in a large glass of water and it will boost your immune system and lessen your susceptibility to colds and flu etc. :)

Pheasant283":lrpjngle said:
Can't really use the cider viniger in her water, unless I give it to all the rabbits.
That would actually be a good thing. It helps their digestion, and it also cuts down on the smell of their urine.

I agree with the ACV, all my rabbits get it throughout the year. If a doe wont breed I usually swap cages with a buck. She spends the night/day in the bucks cage and he vacations in hers. Something about being surrounded by the bucky scent for 24hrs really makes them turn the corner. The next day I bring the buck back to his cage where the doe is waiting for him and 85% of the time that once frigid girl will lift her little tail in a matter of seconds. I have a few that play hard to get for about five minutes or so but eventually stop playing tag and get down to business. Give it a try :)

Pheasant283":26lm4fe7 said:
Have a 8 month old Rex doe. She lost her first litter, gave her a couple of days break then tried to re-breed her. Have been trying to re-breed her for 2 weeks and she will not breed. I have tried a couple different bucks but she will not submit. Any suggestions??

Is the Doe overweight?
Has she any other health issues?
If all is fine then you could try:
Bringing the Doe to the Buck for up to
four days in a row, within this time frame
she will breed. There are only four days in a month
[in most situations] where a Doe will not accept the Buck.
"Unless there are other underlying problems".
If the rabbit is healthy, feed is alright
and there are no other outside disturbances
You should get a breeding.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Yay! You were able to manual lift her for the buck afterall. Great! :) Now cross your fingers that it was a successful breeding and sit back and wait for those sweet little ones to arrive.

hmmm, maybe ACV does affect us, but we don't notice, lol. After all, bananas and eggs are supposed to do that for us, and I'VE never noticed it, eating a banana. LOL. :D

Shara":2tm0lw5u said:
hmmm, maybe ACV does affect us, but we don't notice, lol. After all, bananas and eggs are supposed to do that for us, and I'VE never noticed it, eating a banana. LOL. :D

I noticed when I have ACV even highly diluted, it gives me the worst acid reflux.

Back