Size of colony?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
So how many square feet of ground space does each rabbit need in a colony? I am thinking about buidling one for myself (well, actually, for the rabits, lol) and am curious how big to make them.

The bigger the better, of course. The more room they have the less conflict there will be. If you can, start your colony with youngsters shortly after weaning, before they get to the territorial stage. (Although, there has been zero fighting in my colony as far as I can tell and the does were all mature when added. They were closely related, however, so that may have helped.)

Size... Mine is 8 feet by 8 feet with some vertical space added with "furniture". I have three does and a buck in it. I think it is going to end up too crowded, however, once the kits come along. I'm hoping in the spring to add an outdoor wire run. Most fortunately there is already a rabbit door available and at present boarded over, a leftover from when this was the chicken house.

It would depend on size of rabbit but from what I've seen in my 8x8' building and my 12x24' horse stall colony I would do 10sq ft per adult rabbit minimum. You might get away with less if they are small rabbits, litter mates, or get along very well but preferably more especially if you plan to breed frequently and have multiple sets of kits in there. That would be ~4 adult rabbits in an 8x8'. Of course it's going to vary on personalities and like I said size of rabbit. My 9lb d'argent does demand more space than my 3-4lb mini rex but the mini rex seem to have higher odds of not getting along and more issues if crowded than the larger rabbits.

If the does are well used to each other and actually LIKE each other, and the offspring are harvested at 12 weeks at the latest, and the buck is kept in separate quarters, I don't particularly feel the need to provide any more square footage of surface area per doe than I would if they were in individual cages.

If you want to take a more natural approach and keep the buck with the does and only harvest offspring as needed, seems like things would get crowded more quickly and you will need more space.

I definitely see fights breaking out if you pack rabbits as close as you do in cages with nothing dividing them.

You need to give them room to run around, and to get away from each other when there is a squabble. My angora girls are in 8x8 (3 does) and there have been as many as 19 rabbits in there. 5 SR does, 14 4 month old er...kits. That was REALLY tight. they did have quite a bit of 2nd story to romp on, tho.

It seems to be happiest for them with only the 5 does maximum.

My NZ are in a 4x4 pen (2 does) and when the buck is with them, it's expanded to 4x8. The American/beveren does (3 of them) are in a 6x8'. I don't think I'd like to crowd them much more.

I used to keep does with litters in cages that were 30" x 36". If you multiply that by three, you get an area that is 9' x 7.5', about the same square footage as an 8'x8' colony. :)

I personally like to add a little more vertical space, and of course keep plenty of hidey holes and such in there, but I find that they usually adjust quite well and end up snuggling and hanging out, anyway.

I think it's a good rule of thumb.

An 8x8 building is 8 times the square footage of a 30x36" cage not 3. 30/12=2.5' * 3'=7.5sq ft , 8*8=64 sq ft 64/7.5=8.5 . A 7.5 x 9' building would be 67.5 sq ft so more like 9 times the sq footage as a cage. At 4 adult rabbits we would have ~16sq ft per adult rabbit instead of 7.5 sq ft that the cage has. Kits are hard to count for these things.

akane":2v8fw98p said:
An 8x8 building is 8 times the square footage of a 30x36" cage not 3. 30/12=2.5' * 3'=7.5sq ft , 8*8=64 sq ft 64/7.5=8.5 . A 7.5 x 9' building would be 67.5 sq ft so more like 9 times the sq footage as a cage. At 4 adult rabbits we would have ~16sq ft per adult rabbit instead of 7.5 sq ft that the cage has. Kits are hard to count for these things.

oh man, i gotta stop doing math before coffee.

Well, regardless, i've successfully followed the rule.

I'm with everybody on this one - more is better :)

my outdoor run (which is shared by three groups through the day) is 10 x 20 - that way some grass survives and escapes are minimized

indoors in the winter they are housed in pens ranging from 4X6 (Puff alone) to 10 x 12 (8 Jw)

everybody seems to thrive with more room

Bigger is better, of course. More space have fewer conflicts. If possible, start a colony with young weanling, before getting on the regional stage. (While there have been zero movement in the fight for my country, as far as I can tell, and it is ripe when all is added. They were closely related, however, so that may help.)

Back