Figuring up Protein, etc

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that is a nice little book! I have it on a PDF file and since it is in the public domain I am planning to make it and other rabbit books of similar vintage available to RabbitTalk members. It may take a little while to organize. If anyone is in a rush, I suggest that you look at the eBay listings of the seller greensufficientearth. I bought a CD from him with over 30 vintage rabbit books and booklets for next to nothing. He has all kinds of titles on self-sufficiency and homesteading from the "olden days".

Ooooooooooooooo, thank y'all for the useful info! I downloaded the book. I've been curious about how people fed their rabbits in the depression days.

I'll look around for some more of the books because there were several available to download for free.

There was a really good book about chickens and I know there was a book titled something like: raising your chicken or rabbits on scraps, from the depression years.

I think that the commercial pellets started after WW2, so pre 1945 are the years to look for.

My favorite line I often see is how nutritionally balanced the pellets are and that is why you MUST use them for the health of your rabbit. Ok, if that's what you want.

How did these poor rabbits survive for thousands of years without xyz brand pellets.? :)

In commercial feed, the main ingredient is usually alfalfa meal (which I replace with a free choice supply of hay). Other ingredients usually include grains, including soybean and CORN, yes corn is included.

Finally, vitamins and minerals.

First, I found a calculator so all you have to do is plug in the percentages of the parts and you get how much of each that you need to reach your target protein: http://homesteadapps.com/app/free/feedc ... square.php

Second, I found out today that one local feed source was using FISH MEAL as the major source of protein in their rabbit food. WTF.

However, if I can find enough others interested in a whole grain blended feed using whatever recipe I decide on, he's willing to get it together. I told him my goal was to stay away from corn and soy and he said OK, just hope he didn't think that meant fish meal was ok. :x

Fish meal has been used in rabbit food in the past. I've seen it mentioned in books from the 1930's and can only conclude that in such hard times, people did what they needed to do to get by. I definitely do not approve, any more than I approve of animal tallow in pellets.

I think we need to remember that while these vintage books can be valuable sources of information, we cannot follow them blindly. We need to read them critically and only adopt ideas that are in the best interests of our rabbits.

I dont know who pie is.My parents raised rabbits (Dutch crosses)on grains(scratch feed)and grass mix hay.I raise Netherland Dwarfs.I dont feel the need too feed a high protein diet too my rabbits.the highest protein feed was developed for meat breeds.an article in domestic rabbits stated that the higher protein causes more cases of enteritis but also faster growth.I have fed horse feed too my rabbits as a conditioner.

Ok, new information.

I came across this website in Australia that sells sprouting systems, suggesting sprouted grains as a good fodder for livestock. They have a nutritional analysis which, from my understanding, places barley grass sprouts at a 20% protein. Barley is readily available to me, I could easily offer barley and oats sprouts and the whole grains, plus local timothy hay for the fiber and the usual supplements of sunflower seeds, and I have a stable source for kelp meal now, too, for the salts and minerals.

What do you all think? A good plan?

http://foddersolutions.org/nutrition.htm

There has been an on going discussion about feeding corn. Most pellets are made with corn, but not all. There is some information that suggests that whole corn may cause gut impaction in rabbits. I am not convinced of this, but cage rabbits do get much less exercise than their colony-raised or wild cousins, so I guess it is possible. Some suggest cracked (cut) corn. Cracked corn has a tendency to mold with a white or pink mold in moist conditions which is harmful to rabbits. I would be more afraid of the mold than the whole corn.

I have been conducting some trials lately using a mixture of oats, wheat, and cracked corn, and alfalfa hay. I have seen no adverse affects. Perhaps, the argument may best be studied in degrees-of-risk. Show rabbits tend to be both more valuable and more inbreed. House rabbits are valuable to their owners in a different way. I raise meat rabbits. I have already proved to myself that cross bred meat rabbits are more healthy and have more vitality. I have produced upwards of 375 meat kits in the last 2 years, and have lost only one to anything besides 3 or 4 day old kit getting out of the nestbox when it is cold. My kits aren't as valuable to me as a high quality show rabbit or house rabbit is to their owner, so I am will to take more chances. It could be that the corn I feed has just not caused a problem and bitten me in the butt....YET, or it could be that my crossbreeds are just healthier.

Back