Lost a friend

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
I had to put my sweet girl, Polly, to sleep on Monday. She was the first goat I ever milked, the first one I showed and she gave me some beautiful kids, along with gallons and gallons of wonderful milk.

I'm going to miss her. :cry:

awwww I'm so sorry for your loss (((hugs)))
the hardest part of friendship with any species that lives a shorter life than us :(

It is easy to form an attachment to special animals, and very hard to let them go. May you have more new "friends" to take your mind off the one you lost.

Oh, I have no shortage of goatie friends - maybe 45? Haven't counted noses lately. :shock: The current love of my life is the little black and white doe in my avatar - Phoenyx! Very spoiled bottle baby who likes to cuddle in my lap still.

The sad part about Polly is that she wasn't that old, only seven. She had a hard kidding last year and had some lameness in her back end. The stress it put on her front leg caused that to deteriorate until she could no longer get around. But she was bright and interested in life (and food!) up until the last week or so. She had two little Nigerian kids to keep her company and snuggle with. I think they're wondering where she is, now.

Well, I knew it was coming and that I would have to do it before it got really cold. She just took the decision out of my hands. I did the deed myself, couldn't see waiting for hours for the vet to come, while she was suffering.

She's still with me in her offspring, especially her second daughter, Hazel. A very calm, sweet doe, that milks like a dream, very much like her mother. Her first daughter, Tiara, is the one that makes everyone go "wow", but true to her name, she is a diva. :lol:

Half Caper Farm":7br7zxe4 said:
She's still with me in her offspring, especially her second daughter, Hazel. A very calm, sweet doe, that milks like a dream, very much like her mother. Her first daughter, Tiara, is the one that makes everyone go "wow", but true to her name, she is a diva. :lol:
man...I have GOT to get some goats. EVERYONE that has goats tells the greatest stories about the individual characters and odd things they get into :)

I am sorry about Polly I have had a lot of my favorite goats die.
We just got rid of the last of our goats a couple weeks ago, but it was several years ago that they were really special.
All the old friendly ones died off, and the new kids did not get the attention and grain that they should have had.

A few years back we had a small herd of youngsters, (about 14) get wander lust and they ran away. To make a long story short we searched all day and then in the late afternoon we were driving along some county roads, and we spotted them up on the top of a cliff.
They were all safe and sound, we were thinking that they probobly got ate by coyotes but they didn't. :D
(They went to the sale barn) :lol:

I am glad you have another special goat. By the way the goat in your avatar is adorable.

Isn't she just? :D She knows it, too! That's Phoenyx, who was raised in the house, and as far as she's concerned, she's not a goat. When she was old enough to go out in the barn, she'd refuse to stay there, and being so small, there wasn't a fence that could hold her. One day, I was leaning on the gate, looking at the goats, and she was at my feet, so I picked her up and popped her into the paddock. She looked up at me, with her lower lip jutting out, then she walked to the other end of the gate, ducked under and ran as fast as she could back to the house. I could almost hear her saying, loudly, "I'm not a goat! I don't want to be a goat! You can't make me be a goat!" :lol:

While we were at the Royal, she spent a lot of time sitting in my lap. There was a young lad showing his goats, and he fell in love with Phoenyx earlier in the year at one of the shows. I was heading out to wander around, and he asked if he could let her out, so I said he could (he's a very responsible boy). I came back to hear that Phoenyx had made a run for it, straight down the aisle and into the showring! Fortunately, they were between classes so not too much of a disruption. I suspect she was looking for me, as she's very bonded to me.

Back