Tattooing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
Do you guys think a regular (human) tattoo gun would work to tattoo the rabbits ear? I have a pair of does out of Spooky that I cant tell apart for the life of me. My hubby does tattoos, so do you think it would be the same thing?

Any suggesstions?

Shara,
that would definitely work!
I use India Ink for my tattoos, I have tried to purchase Ink
from a Tattoo parlor but they are all make an appointment via phone
At least in my neck of the woods there are no "walk in" tattoo parlors.
There used to be plenty in N.Y.C.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Does any one now how to refresh a tatoo? Ive been told this needs to be done from time to time, but what do you do, just re tatoo? Im not sure I could get everything in exactly the same place as I did the first time.

A good tattoo should not have to be redone.
If you are going to "touch-up/repair a tattoo,
the only safe way to do it would be with a tattoo pen and a very steady hand. :mbounce:

I'm am TRYING to save up for a tattoo pen with the cup and whole shebang like a human tattoo pen. MAN those are expensive.

I do think that some tattoos do need to be redone..those that are put on a growing rabbit. I have one junior doe that was obviously tattooed when she was sent on the drift (american rabbits). She's at least 4 months older now, and the tattoo is almost illegible. Not because of faded ink, but because the ear has grown and the dots are now waaaaay out of line. :(

Just remember that there are "illegal" tattoos. I'd have to check the ARBA rules, but I'm pretty sure there are specific rules for tattoos in order to be shown at an ARBA show...

I tattoo them at weaning or shortly thereafter.
It helps to know exactly which rabbit is which at a glance,
especially when you have more than a few rabbits of the same color.

Sundew Rabbitry":zmrfpomv said:
Just remember that there are "illegal" tattoos. I'd have to check the ARBA rules, but I'm pretty sure there are specific rules for tattoos in order to be shown at an ARBA show...

Per ARBA rules:

ENTRIES / EXHIBITS, SECTION 26

All animals must be permanently and legibly earmarked in the left ear.

(A) Rabbits not legibly earmarked must be disqualified from the class. Legibility of the earmark is at the discretion of the judge. This ruling also applies to rabbit with leg bands. In addition to a leg band they must also have a legible earmark in the left ear.

(B) pertains to cavies so I didn't copy it....

I've always been told as long as it's permanent and legible, it's fine....<br /><br />__________ Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:54 pm __________<br /><br />Before I tattoo, I cull. I don't tattoo the bunnies that I pet out without a degree. All of the others I tattoo at around 12 weeks. Until then, I keep a number written in their ears with a Sharpie :)

Thanks, its good to have as much info as possible.

Incidentally, you can make a very cheap, functional tatoo gun out of a mechanical pencil, guitar string, and a small motor. Real cheap things that make a useful deal. We used to have one. Shocked the poo outa me, it was so simplistic, yet extremely functional. Might be an idea for those with limited budget (but remember, because of how the guitar string is, there is no needle you can change, so not the greatest idea for human tats).

__________ Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:06 am __________

this is a simple gun, not the same as the one we used to have, but really, they just use a different motor. You could build one of these for $10-$15. Or cheaper.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmNDkbgYckY[/youtube]

Back