Introducing litters, doe, and new does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWolf

Reaction score
Would introducing 2 new does to a doe and her 10week old litter be too much stress? Would I be better off waiting for the litter to be sold before introducing the new does? The 10 week old bucks can be separated the same day I introduce the does, or they can be separated a week earlier.

I think I have enough room for 3 does and 1 litter. Basically I have a 10ft by 20ft run attached to a 13ft by 3ft hutch (some of you might know that it is a bit more complicated than that... but that's about how much room I have), plus hidey holes. If I don't have enough space, please let me know!

If you have had experience in an introduction like this, please share advice!! Thank you all in advance

I'm not very experienced, but I don't think the kits are a concern. I would remove the bucks about 10 weeks anyhow.

My colony is about 10ft by 12ft I think (uh.. not used to thinking in feet) and had as many as 4 does and a litter of 10 kits with no problem. The kits were small by that time, but I don't think it matters.

They may still fight or chase around, but that's always a risk..

Good luvck and hope you get betyter answers soon :)

Thanks. I will separate the bucks then. I wonder, if there are more rabbits, will they be less likely or more likely to fight? Especially if those extra rabbits are kits- would they feel that fighting too rough might hurt the kits, or would they even care about a stranger's kits? Would the doe be more protective of her kits, even though they are weaned by then?

rom what I've heard it's easier to introduce new rabbits to a large colony than a small.. I suppose an extra two does make less differense if there are a lot to start with, than if there's just a few :)

Just finshed my outside run approx 17' X 10' with a hutch in the middle and several hiding places introducted 3 does with kits last night. Kits got along fine doe did ok little chasing and hair pulling but no major injuries. left them overnight evyone getting long fine.

I would put the new does in a wire cage in the colony so the old doe can get use to their smell.

Once they've been in there a couple days I would close off any dead end cages or houses etc... so no one gets cornered with no way out, and let them both new does loose in the colony as it's harder to go after 2 targets.

Usually the mature does try and chase the new comers and kits can get in the way, they may even be bitten by accident. The more hiding spots, tables and toys in the way the easier it is for the harassed doe to hide and conserve energy and the old does to get use to the new smell.

Occasionally the new does will be dominant and attack the old doe and her kits, pull her out immediately and try again once the kits are out of there. Ive only had this happen a couple times and these dominant does were never able to be in the colony.

This is how i started my colony. I had a pregnant doe with a litter of 6 weeks old.
I introduced 3 new doe's, 1 senior and 2 juniors.
The old doe chased them the first 2 days and then accepted them.
The newcomers didn't fight back or hurt the little ones at all. Surprisingly, the little 6 weeks old chased the bigger junios and senior doe!!
Later the senior doe got acknowledged by the older doe and was promoted to second rank.
One of the 6 week old daughters stayed 3rd rank and all the other doe's were lower ranked.
After a year, their ranks are still the same but i pulled out many of them.
The older doe and the second rank are still best girlfriends though.
They share a neutered buck together as lover.

The older doe at the feeding tray with her son and the second rank orange doe in the hutch.
The other 2 are the neutered buck and white doe who was born in the colony, the older doe was pregnant of her when i setup the colony.

70f50h.jpg

That looks good, Disney! I'm glad to know that, while colony success depends on the individual rabbits, a doe and her litter can be introduced to new does.
My colony experience is just 2 sisters (they were separated at first, but then the gender fairy came). Thanks for all the insight about litters and colonies!

The first and second rank doe are also (half) sisters who grew up together and were later seperated.
I reunited them in the colony and they quickly bonded. More surprisingly, they both turned their backs agains lower ranked doe's and rejected them until the point that the whole colony was tense and stressed out so i had to pull out many doe's and now these 4 adults are left from the 11.
I'm planning on reorganizing the colony by rehoming these 4 and starting a new colony with doe's that are sitting alone in hutches and doe's that i pulled out from this colony.

Hopefully all my does get along! :) If not, then I will probably do like what you are doing- build a new colony. Or maybe split my current one in half, since it's so big.

Back