Register

Killing wee littles

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,049.00

Re: Killing wee littles

Post Number:#16  Unread postby mystang89 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 am

Miss M wrote:Killing anything that has been alive for so little time, or is defenseless and completely dependent for its well-being, goes against the way we are created. It hasn't had the chance to grow, develop, become. It is natural, instinctive even, to protect and nurture a helpless baby. It just goes against the grain, and can make you feel like you are betraying the creature's trust, to kill it instead.

Once it is older, it isn't so cute, it's had life, it isn't defenseless, and it has reached its purpose. This doesn't make it easy or fun, but it's a lot easier to accept the end point at 12 weeks or so, than it is when the end point is so close to the beginning point.

I don't know that I could do it, myself. Not that I think any less of someone who can, not at all.

:yeahthat: :goodpost: Well thought out and exactly on point. Very nice Miss M. This is what it comes down to. I may be different but for me, I do it quick so they don't feel anything and I don't look back at it. It's done and over and I'm on to my next one.

Site Supporter
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:00 am

ladysown wrote:I know it's stupid as it's really no different than deliberately dispatching an older kit, but I'm having a wee bit of trouble wrapping my head around it.

I have a snake person who wants some young buns...the one-two week olds. Will happily take any DOA kits I have, but is asking for some older younglings.

WHY is it difficult to think about culling out the young ones? Why is it different?

I do not understand this....

Anyone have any thoughts?

It is because it isnt something you normally do at this age. .. It is the same and easier to do them. Once you do it a couple of times it will get easier to a POINt. Just like my first time butchering. I dwild on it for a week.. I did it. Then the next time it was easier.. I just kepted telling myself .. they were breed for a reason and now that reason has come and it must be done. it would be different if you are throwing it out or something.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,235.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Maxine » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:07 pm

ladysown wrote:
garden lady wrote: but to hand one to a snake is something else

no...any animal leaving my place to go as critter food leaves dead and frozen. I've heard bad stories about some of the things snake folk do. So they always take everything dead.

How do you dispatch a young rabbit? Is it different than with the 9-12 week old ones? Trying to imagine having to cull a tiny bunny because it was sickly. Makes me feel a bit sick to think of, but like you said, no suffering!

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,996.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby ladysown » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:48 pm

culling a wee little can be done in a few different ways, the easiest is to hold the kit in your hand with just the head sticking out and then whack it on the edge of something hard and solid. Death is instanteous.

Some choose to put them in the freezer alive but I can't fathom that being an easy death.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Maxine » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57 am

Putting in the freezer alive sounds cruel. Fast would be best I think.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 am

You can put the kit in a paper bag and then whack the bag against something hard, or like Ladysown said, hold in your hand and whack the head against something hard. My hubs has dropped a cinder block on them before...sounds horrible, but really fast.

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Maxine » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I know at some point I will have to do it, hope it's not anytime soon.

BunnyBucks: 14,560.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby GBov » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:38 pm

I had a doe have her first litter on the wire one warm morning. As each kit came out and crawled about a raccoon got each leg as it came through the bottom wire and pulled it off.

Even legless my first reaction was how to make them better instead of kill them quick.

The nurturing instinct is VERY STRONG!!! So killing a helpless baby is hard to do, even when there is no other thing to be done.

Hand help pruners work great if they are a little blunt, one snip behind the head and the spine is severed but the skin is still intact so no blood.

Having had many snakes over the years most will take dead prey but some will starve to death without the stimulation of live prey. The only thing wrong with feeding live prey to a snake is making a joke or game of it, the snake is just doing what comes natural to it really. We had a grey rat snake get into a purple martin house once, it ate the entire bottom level clean, every baby bird it could stuff into itself. I had to get between the snake and the other employees at the garden center, they wanted to slice and dice it because it "Ate helpless baby birds!" :roll:

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 32,490.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby Dood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:07 pm

What an interesting perspective considering nearly every meat we eat is a sexually immature teen or juvenile.

I don't have a problem dispatching young ones, if anything it is my older breeders I feel guilty about culling since they have given me so much and I feel they deserve better. My buns are still young so I haven't had to think about it yet but I have a doe who just doesn't produce many kits and I am running out of spare cages and will likely need hers for a better breeder within the next few months.

Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby 3mina » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:12 pm

A snake that doesn't like dead prey is why many keepers have very long sets of forceps and make the food move and use fresh killed instead of thawed frozen
Rex and American Sables

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 770.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby GypsyTinker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:16 am

For the little bitty ones, I set them on the ground and step on their heads.

It's so sad, but it is quick and the lil bunny is a lil happy, till the end.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 769.00

Post Number:#27  Unread postby stone soup farm » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:02 pm

Each person has to decide what is right to them. I see the pros of saving on feed to grow them out and the others in the litter would prosper with less competition. I agree with the culling of breeding stock that you have dealt with for much longer is harder for me, not to say culling younger is easier. We just culled 5 kits that were failing to thrive/runts, sad, but suffering is worse.

Maxine wrote:Putting in the freezer alive sounds cruel. Fast would be best I think.

Freezing to death is like going to sleep. It is actually easy and painless, not cruel. Whacking them is just as good for quickness but if you don't succeed right off then that would be cruel.

For my limits, I won't sell rabbits to laboratories. That is the worse suffering to me. Pet to the right person are ok, but I would rather sell for meat breeding stock.
Small hobby farm raising Californian, American Chinchillas, and meat mutts.

www.stonesoupfarm.us

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 21,575.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby Kyle@theWintertime » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:17 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:
avdpas77 wrote:I didn't think snakes would eat dead food.

Most snake keepers these days have expensive "morphs" which have abnormal patterns and/or colors. They don't want to risk injury to the snakes from the prey biting them, so they feed dead prey.

Exactly. :) I had a Mohave Ball Python who would ONLY eat a pre-killed/thawed prey item...he never even bothered to strike or constrict his "prey" either. :P I'd set the rat down in front of him, he'd flick his tongue a few times, then prod it with his face til he found the head and down the hatch it would go. :) I think he'd have no idea what to DO with a live prey item! And rats can be NASTY suckers, no way did I want him mauled by a rat!!!

When I sold him I made sure he went to someone who also believes in frozen/thawed pre-killed prey. :) It is safer for the snake and more humane for the prey item. :)
Wintertime Rabbitry: Zwergschecken/Dwarf Papillons
Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association, the Western Michigan Rabbit Breeders Association, the Forest City Rabbit Breeders Club, and the Michigan State Rabbit Breeders Association.

https://klawrence5995.wixsite.com/wintertime

Formerly Kyle@theHeathertoft

Previous