Judging a Doe's Readiness and Breeding Tips

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to rabbits....
How do you check?!?!?! Flip her over and hope she doesn't claw the heck out of me?

Thanks! I successfully checked her today. She was actually quite chill. My buck wasn't having anything to do with me handling him.

I've got a doe that it's swollen and got some purple there and she still acts like she don't want nothing to do with the buck. I change bucks the second one did his job but she still didn't lift her butt up for him. I've had litters with her of 9 and 10 kits before... I put her in there with him this morning and then again tonight and going to put her back in there in the morning again.... don't know what to do. This is the 3rd month I've tried doing this but the first time trying to do it with the color... you try to help the buck out and he just looks at you like this ain't no 3 some.. get out and close the door...

After the doe is bred, does the color change? If the color returns after 10-15 days, does that mean she missed?

I've a NZ doe that I have had a couple of weeks and when I put her in the bucks cage, she does laps around the cage to avoid the buck. This doe's sister readily bred with this buck. When I purchased the doe they were in a cage with several other rabbits, (maybe young does & bucks mixed?) is it plausible that she was already bred when I got her and that is her reason to avoid the buck? I have not checked "color", but have put her in with the buck every other day for about 5 minutes or until the buck gets tired of chasing her.

Love this thread just found it - I checked my does, the one that I am 99.9% positive is preggo was a good healthy "2" based on the photos D:

Great info thank you so much. I use to have mini loops many years ago and now my my girls have mini Lion heads. I would love to know at what age would they be ready to mate as ours are only 28 weeks old I am just looking toward the future. Any help is appreciated Thank you :bunnyhop:

Hi Crazyhorse!

:welcomewagon:

Some of our members breed as early as 16 weeks, even with the larger meat production rabbits. Younger does seem to have larger litter sizes and make less mistakes with nesting, kindling, and feeding of the kits.

Lionheads should definitely be ready to breed at 23 weeks. Check the color of their vulva, and if they appear ready, try them with the buck. If they lift for him, good! If not, try again in a week or two.

The photos are very helpful. Thanks for posting them<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:37 pm __________<br /><br />So, I have a question after reading through all 3 pages. Is this coloring for when you first starting breeding as in the doe being mature enough to breed or is this for general use?

I thought that rabbits don't have a cycle but ovulate upon the presence of sperm, and that is why people often take them back for another breeding after 1 hr or up to 6 hours after first try.

stone soup farm":1nwjx1g5 said:
Is this coloring for when you first starting breeding as in the doe being mature enough to breed or is this for general use?

[ Post details ]

This is for general use. An adult or sub-adult doe will not consistently be this color.

stone soup farm":1nwjx1g5 said:
I thought that rabbits don't have a cycle but ovulate upon the presence of sperm, and that is why people often take them back for another breeding after 1 hr or up to 6 hours after first try.
[ Post details ]

It is actually the act of copulation that triggers them to release their eggs.

They don't have a "cycle" per se, but they do have varying periods of receptiveness... I think it is around 16 days, but I am not sure where that data is at the moment.

The follicles which contain the ova have to reach a certain size before they are ready to "burst", so I assume that the lighter to darker coloring indicates that some eggs are ready. When dark pink a few eggs are ready to be released, to purple and "this is as many as I can possibly make! Breed me right now!"

So if a doe is lighter pink like the first picture and gets exposed to the buck should there be a color change if she takes? Or if she doesn't?

I have found, in the few does that I have that consistently change color, that once they are bred, they don't get as dark purple anymore. So if I breed a doe, and check 16 days later, and she is deep purple again, I breed her again because it's likely she didn't take. Though I have does that don't change and breed, and does that swell up and won't breed.

mountainrabbits":3t8b3cwi said:
So if a doe is lighter pink like the first picture and gets exposed to the buck should there be a color change if she takes? Or if she doesn't?

The color change indicates when she will be most receptive. If she is pale pink, she likely wont breed, if it is dark pink or purple she should be eager to.

I'm flabbergasted. I've been told by many people that rabbits did not have a season, that they were always ready to breed. I am very new to this, and have been unsuccessful breeding any of my rabbits. I was so discouraged and felt like I was just a failure at it. After reading this, I feel so much better, thank you! I will look to see if the doe is ready for breeding before I put her in with the buck. Maybe I can do this. :)

LearningAs-I-Go":3tacmiym said:
I was so discouraged and felt like I was just a failure at it. After reading this, I feel so much better, thank you!

Good! :D I'm glad you found it helpful. Contrary to popular belief, rabbits don't always "breed like rabbits".

LearningAs-I-Go":3tacmiym said:
Maybe I can do this. :)

Of course you can. There is a bit of a learning curve with rabbits, as with most things.

You have found the best rabbit raising forum on the net, in my slightly biased opinion. ;) Our members are very knowledgeable and willing to help. :)

:welcomewagon:

Welcome to RT, and the wonderful world of rabbits. Once you get going, you will wonder what you ever did without bunnehs! :)

Thanks for posting this thread & especially the images. Was a great help. Glad it got stickied. Never thought it could be so complicated to get rabbits to .... breed like rabbits!

Back