getting a group going...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
I have set up rabbits for bonding before - more than once actually - and small groups too

the jersey wooly babies have been zipping back and forth between the moms and one other doe with impunity for the last 3 weeks .. they often were hanging out with auntie and the mums were quite social with each other through the wires .. so

today I had time to reorganize the wooly set up :)

I took the caging used for the 3 does and redid it so they have an open area 6 feet by 10 feet to explore and take advantage of

the oldest doe with the youngest popple is the queen at this point - the aunt is delighted with the set up (as are the kits); the other mother is a nervous girl anyhow - and I'm sure had only ever sat in a cage before she came to us .. so she is in shock

I had a 4th doe that hadn't had contact with the group but is doing very very well - she's gained weight and is a dear gal so I set her up right beside the big pen for a couple of hours and just put her in together with the gang - older queen bee is not impressed with her but all the rabbits have lots of bolt holes and boxes and other things to do and see .. so cross your fingers - I would be THRILLED for them and me to have one group :)

hehehe

It should work, but you will need to monitor them for a while to make sure the last girl in doesn't get bullied. With enough space and bolt holes, most rabbits seem to get on very well, with just the occasional chase to make sure no one forgets who is queen. It will be so much easier to care for them in a communal pen... and so much nicer for the buns themselves.

Don't forget to watch for signs of "maturity" in your little bucklings or you may find you have an unforeseen population explosion down the road a bit.

HAHAHA - I thought of that too - can you imagine? (watching new things is second nature to me now too but a good reminder for folks who haven't done this often before)
Niobe will be doing his best escape artist impression too so good luck to me holding at this number ;)

MaggieJ":1uugykfk said:
Ah, so Niobe is back to normal and up to his old tricks, eh? Super!
super isn't entirely the word I'd choose but I appreciate the thoughts<br /><br />__________ Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:20 pm __________<br /><br />ummm Niobe was in with the girls this morning ..

guess we'll see how good he's feeling ;)

the girls are all doing fine together - it's a little like a school yard - everybody yaks at everybody but you can really see some friendships building up .. face grooming, eating together, play chasing - it really is pretty darling

I hope not honestly - though it would make letting go of this batch easier ;)

all is still well with the group :)

Truthfully...it's like putting chickens in a coop together. Giving them things to do...tunnels, tubs, boxes...to hide in and jump up on is a great thing. They can get away from an aggressor; crate games; hide when I come in to feed. A simple rubbermaid type tub with a hole or 2 cut in the sides is great. I have one that only has one large hole on the end (used to be a nestbox in the chicken coop) and then love it. Run inside, hop up on top (the top is CB and FLB's hang out.) Even better is the one with two WINDOWS in addition to the door. they go in and peek out.

they love the tunnels. long enough to stretch out in and sleep..or just hang out in.

Back