Considering creating a colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaDani

Reaction score
I apologize up front for the length of this post. I just want to make sure I have everything right. We currently have 4 rabbits: 2 NZ bucks(Peter and Cottontail), 1 NZ doe (Mopsy) and a Californian doe (Flopsy). All are living in hanging cages. Mopsy has 4 2week old kits, Flopsy is hopefully 11 days pregnant. We were planning out our grow out cages (newbies so they aren't built yet) and I got thinking about just creating a colony for the does and their kits. We may eventually keep a kit to add another doe to our group so we're looking at 2-3 does. We're only breeding for meat for ourselves and possibly selling some to friends and family if we have extras. Because of that, the does aren't going to be on a fast breeding schedule...maybe every 5-6 months. That would put each doe only have 1 litter in the colony at a time. I have an idea of a set up but would love for yall to tell me if it will work or if I should make some changes.

The area I'm thinking of using is 14ft x 4ft. Is that big enough? I was thinking of essentially making the colony on top of a raised garden bed frame like structure. It would be filled with top soil and peat moss to allow digging but the bottom of that would be wire so they can only dig so far. How deep should that be? Would a foot deep be good? To keep predators out, the whole thing would be enclosed in 1 x .5in hardware cloth and completely in the chicken run. 2 of the 4 walls will be up against solid walls. The other side of 1 wall will be the chicken run and the other side of the last wall will be our back yard. The top would be hinged so that I have access to the whole colony from the top.

I'd give each doe their own nest area. I was thinking a Sterilite container partly buried with small drain hole drilled into the bottom and a hole cut out of the side for mom to get in and out. I like the idea of the Sterilite containers because I can easily open the tops to look inside. From looking around the forum, I know I should also make sure there are hiding places and shelves are a good idea. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Last question, when should I move everyone. I figure I can move Mopsy and her kits as soon as the colony is built. What about Flopsy? Should I move her while she's pregnant? Shortly after she kindles? When her kits are ready to wean?

Wow. That's quite a plan.

MamaDani":1nvlw7xv said:
I apologize up front for the length of this post. I just want to make sure I have everything right. We currently have 4 rabbits: 2 NZ bucks(Peter and Cottontail), 1 NZ doe (Mopsy) and a Californian doe (Flopsy). All are living in hanging cages. Mopsy has 4 2week old kits, Flopsy is hopefully 11 days pregnant. We were planning out our grow out cages (newbies so they aren't built yet) and I got thinking about just creating a colony for the does and their kits. We may eventually keep a kit to add another doe to our group so we're looking at 2-3 does. We're only breeding for meat for ourselves and possibly selling some to friends and family if we have extras. Because of that, the does aren't going to be on a fast breeding schedule...maybe every 5-6 months. That would put each doe only have 1 litter in the colony at a time. I have an idea of a set up but would love for yall to tell me if it will work or if I should make some changes. I prefer to have all the does in the colony pregnant at the same time, all kindle at approximately the same time, all get weaned at the same time, but whatever works for you is good I guess.

The area I'm thinking of using is 14ft x 4ft. Is that big enough? Sounds good to me. I was thinking of essentially making the colony on top of a raised garden bed frame like structure. It would be filled with top soil and peat moss to allow digging but the bottom of that would be wire so they can only dig so far. How deep should that be? Would a foot deep be good? That's an excellent idea. I'd make it deeper though, 2ft minimum. Why do you want to use peat moss and not just regular soil? Don't make the mixture too soft or it may collapse on them.

Last question, when should I move everyone. Have these too does lived together before? I'd be wary of introducing a mom with kits and one that's about to kindle. If they've previously cohabited and been friends there shouldn't be a problem.I figure I can move Mopsy and her kits as soon as the colony is built. Sounds good to me. What about Flopsy? Should I move her while she's pregnant? Shortly after she kindles? When her kits are ready to wean?I would prefer to leave her until after she's weaned

Let us know how it works out for you. You've given me an idea for my next colony.

Very interesting. Looking forward to hearing how it works out. Post pics too!

Thanks for the feedback! I do plan to breed the does at the same time. It just didn't work out this time. I put Flopsy in Peter's cage 11 days ago b/c I was hoping to jump start what I thought was an over due. Turns out she wasn't pregnant but she may be now. What I meant was the first litters will be old enough to be processed by the time the second litters are born....does will be rebred, at the earliest, about a month before the previous litters are ready for processing.

I was thinking peat moss and top soil b/c that's what I do in our garden. I was thinking about drainage. But I see your point. I'll stick with top soil.

The does have been in separate but side by side cages, sharing a wire wall. I was kinda leaning toward waiting till Flopsy's kits were older and introducing her and them at the same time anyway so that will be the plan. :)

I'll definitely post pictures. It'll be a little bit though b/c hubby wants to redo the chicken run at the same time.

Back