Prude NZ

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
SO, sorry if you read this, Paula, but your NZ's are DUDS!!!! lol, just kidding. The buck is sweet to the girls and wont push to breed (and kinda lazy to boot) and the doe is just frigid. Works out for me okay, I just desided to have the two share a really big cage and put a box in in 28 days. When ever she kindles or they fight (they have been getting along swimmingly) they will be separated. But is there a way to make a lazy buck horney?

I am thinking of building them a colony and just putting all three together, so I won't have to worry about them breeding or not. If they will they will, but I am tired of fighting with missed pregnancies, and I think they would be happier in the long run together anyways.

So any ideas unit that point?

Shara":ttrtov2r said:
The buck is sweet to the girls and wont push to breed (and kinda lazy to boot) and the doe is just frigid.
:lol: That's funny... That's the way Thumper is, so I'm so glad we kept Pinto! ...and, the girls were pretty uncooperative, but he managed to breed them anyway!

I have no idea how to turn a buck into less of a gentleman! I have given up on Thumper. At least he had enough will in him to give us Pinto. :mrgreen:

Is it possible they are all just young and not quite figuring it out yet? I got a buck from Paula who looks big enough to breed but he is really still a baby, he is only 4 months old, but about 8 lbs. He is still lanky too, he is gonna be a biiig boy. I can hardly wait!

I have a Brun buck here who would snuggle with girls when I tried to breed him, he'd groom them, share his toys and had no interest in breeding what so ever. He is also the cleanest rabbit ever. (At 7 Months old I was beginning to worry I had a gay rabbit).

Hauled his lazy bum to a show, plunked him on a table that had seen plenty of girls before his class, and voila he was suddenly a man. The next day he bred two does back to back with no problem and now every time when I go out to the rabbitry there he is at the front of his cage trollin' for girls. :lol:

Well, I think they should breed, but maybe they are young. My Cal buck at four months (shooting blanks) was VERY happy to try! He is just lazy. Oh well, it works out for the moment, I guess. They are HUGE, both of them, and I figured with the weight thing they should get to it, but I am more than happy to hang tight for another few months. Meanwhile, the pair will share a cage. Saves Cage space, and as soona s they are ready, they will do it, so it works out and no lost time for me. :)

I am actually extremely happy with Paula's rabbits. They are BIG, happy, rabbits. I just haven't had the pleasure of breeding any yet. If he stays too lazy, I will either put them all in a colony, or save a buck, or something.

Upside (or downside if you have prudish rabbits, lol) there seems to be quite the demand for fryers here. I already have a lady buying the four bucks I have from Spooky's last litter, I just have to wait for them to get butcher age, in 6 weeks. Sounds like there is another breeder close who can't keep up with the demand for meat, so I am going to be having rabbits paying for their feed, at least. Makes me wish I had brought all of mine, I could have sold them here.

Oh boy everyone wants Fryers here. I posted an add on Kijiji within 5 minutes I already had 3 responses and over the next few days I had close to twenty before I had time to pull the add because everything sold.

Well, My Prude NZ's bred! I saw them yesterday while I was feeding, and there are love bites out of her fur. So excited!

Back