There how old

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randtrabbitry

Reaction score
So i posted a wanted add looking for more good breeding age or close to breeding age nzw does. A guy who bought a buck of me a few yrs ago gives me a call tells me he has some does that are 5 months old born in june. He does not have the space for them an would sell them cheap knowing there going back to where there dad came from. There califorina x nzw and really cute looks mostly cali. Anyway the biggest 1 weights 4 pounds. Wow my 10 week old weigh that much. I also found out that do to cage space all the bucks and does live together up tell a few days ago. There were 9 in a 2 by 2 looking hutch talk about tight. Im hoping now that i got them in there own 24 by 30 cage they will grow up a bit. And hopefully there not pregnant. Guess i will be holding of breeding them tell after the new yr. I just felt bad for them and him. His plan was to raise meat rabbits but he just could not do the deed. They look really healthy not bonny so im guessing they only grew to what they were allowed to do to cage space.
Cant wait tell spring i guess everyone who raises meat rabbits stops and waits tell spring to breed.

I'm breeding meat rabbits now. I'll stop in December, but unless we get a hard cold snap in December, the kits are fine. I have been known to bring the nestbox in at night for the first few days, but I've never lost kits due to cold unless they were on the wire.

i breed all year round except in the summer I don't breed as much. I find the kits do better in the winter than any other time of the year. :)

Spring and summer there is an abundance of meat rabbits for sell on craigslist but they seem to stop breeding in the fall. Because all the adds stop im like the only one that post them though out the winter. What i find is bad quality mostly.
There is an add up that has 6 month old does for $5 but the price is to cheep im worried something is wrong with them and with an hour drive i just dont want to chance it. I do know some of the problem is im almost the only one in the area that breeds meat rabbits. Ive found a few and help some get established but there few and far between the further east i can travel the more breeders i find.

sometimes rabbits are cheap simply because people want to get rid of them
and sometimes they are cheap because well....there's a reason for it.

an hour away, wouldn't chance it. NOW...if you had to GO that way anyways, stopping in is no biggie.

If they arent bony and not skinny i would bet they arent calfnzw.being that small they are possibly dwarf crosses.

Im hoping he was wrong on the age i will watch them a week or two and due a weigh in if no weight is gained then i know i will have some minis i will need to sell or cull. Here is some pics i took of them today.

Attachments

• 1120100927.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 1,705
  • 1120100929.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 1,705
  • 1120100930.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 1,705
Maybe they were crossed Not with a Newzealand,
but with a Florida White!
They would be smaller than as
a fully grown Florida White weighs 4 to 6 Lbs.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Im thinking there young now. The biggest one weighs in a 5 lb 5 ounces and the smallest is 4 pounds. Weight them Monday the 29 and ive had them a little over 2 weeks.
Ive got someone coming these evening and might buy 2 of them as he is wanting some does to start breed them this spring. I told them what all i had then i told him i could sell him 2 of this does but i could not tell him much about them other then there younger then what they guy i bought them said there are.

They look too in proportion to be that younger then what was said originally (heads are "popped"). I think Ottersatin is correct. The cali and rew "colouring" is present in every breed not just NZW/Californian.

Back