Rabbit Manure

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my location, with a fairly large concentration of organic gardeners and an active PUSH for using natural fertilizers, I could easily get $4 to $5/50lbs bagged and delivered to a central location

HOWEVER, it's really really hard to get anyone to come to the farm to pick it up. We also have a couple of folks who advertise "free...you scoop...all you want" and they have a FEW people, but not a lot. One rabbitry (now defunct) had a guy who would come out every week and take home a trailer full of manure...he'd bag it up in town and go around his suburb selling bags.

My rabbits are going to produce a LOT more poop than I will need this summer

How would you market it to sell at a farmer's market?
might be worth a shot - take a pair of bunnies down - spend the day grooming them and hanging out and sell some poop ... if I can get my head together that is

One idea that we have tossed around for marketing bunny berries would be to make small burlap sacks (there's a place in Mississauga that has upholsterer's burlap real cheap), fill them with bunny berries and tie them up with twine. Instant "manure tea bags" and the gardener never has to handle the manure. Drop one in a bucket of water, steep for 24 hours and use the liquid on the plants. Could likely use the bag a couple of times. Spent bags would go in the compost pile... all natural fabric so it would break down. Should go down well with urban gardeners.

By all means run them up on a machine... They'd be done in no time. If I were doing it, I'd make them in two sizes... for 2-3 gallons and 5-6 gallons, since most buckets are one or the other. As for how much... take a bucket of water and put in a scoop or two of poop... see if it looks it rich enough. Then size your tea bag accordingly. No matter now strong the tea is, it certainly will not burn the plants. This manure tea is supposed to be particularly good for roses.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:59 pm __________<br /><br />Been thinking a bit more about this. You could also make the teabags by using a slightly larger square and just pulling the corners and tying it like a poke. It wouldn't be quite so attractive, but would work just as well and no sewing needed.

Here's a link for burlap in the Toronto area. I bought some there a number of years ago.
http://www.nusso.com/fabric/

cool concept - given that I don't sew the tying them makes sense :)

I like that in that it would be more attractive to sell then little bags of poop too

I LOVE this idea!!! I get hay in my manure, so selling it isn't a great option. This IS!

I'm quite inspired now ... and you know the other half thinks we are all CRAZY!!!

Well thats just awsome !! I am thinking if folks already have a rain barrel then they could place the "tea bags" in those! What do you all think? would that work? If you let it sit for the first week and then could draw off water at random and fertilize your plants? The rainbins already have screens and lids to stop mosquitos and such.

Brody":19kxwzjv said:
I'm quite inspired now ... and you know the other half thinks we are all CRAZY!!!

The other half might be on to something! :lol:

i use our manure on fields and in veg beds. The winters supply created the most amazing soil this year---black in color! I would not sell it as we need the nourishment in the garden

CH - that makes sense for you for sure. Here 15 rabbits plus or minus for a year and our regular composting have filled one of our bins (4x4x4) already - I have half a bin of compost in the other usually it takes nearly a year to fill a bin - this year we did two ..
I have enough poop I can share :)

Brody, you are correct---with 40 acres, we can handle/use a lot of poop. I should add that the geese are prolific in this regard and do a fantastic job of manuring the fields! Last august, the area that had been remained green....

Ive thought about selleing the manure before but wasn't sure exactly how to package it. thought about using empty rabbit food bags turned wrong side out but then how would you seal them. And can you bag it like that if it is damp from urine and what about the bugs that are in the manure already? or am I just making this too hard? :-|<br /><br />__________ Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:40 pm __________<br /><br />

Rabbitlady,
I do believe you are trying to make your work harder!
I have packed it in Rabbit feed bags for quite some time now.
I tie the tops with a length of cord off of the hay bails.
I trade bags of manure for bails of hay. I also have a few customers
in the spring that purchase by the bag nearly every year.
I will not tell you here what I charge and they are happy to pay,
but I will in a private email. I just don't tell everything on an open forum.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

From rabbitgeek notes:
Some people shared their strategies for selling rabbit manure.

If you use five gallon buckets to move manure for sales, put a plastic bag in it first then tie it off. Will keep the buckets cleaner and reduce the smell. You can put the lids on the buckets and stack them for transport to sale. You sell the bag of manure to the customer, not the pail.

Then when customer takes the bags of manure, you can stack buckets one inside the other for transport home to be filled again.

Prices mentioned were $2 and up per bag at the swap meet farmers market.

Have a good day!

Back