First Sneezer of the bunch!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
Well, the kits are about to turn 9 weeks on Friday and tonight we heard the first sneezer/cougher of the bunch. :( I have been checking them daily for snot, matted fur, crusty eyes, etc...This one started "barking" and so I took it out, checked it and sure enough, there was matted fur on its paws...durn. :evil: So, it is spending the night in a cat carrier away from the others and I will dispatch it tomorrow. It is the first one of the kits to display any symptoms, but I am sure there will be more. Of COURSE it is one of the largest, most nicely marked does....*sigh*

I'm so sorry to hear this, it really sounded like things were going well. You were right to put it in quarantine. When my Cali doe got sick, one of her weanling kits next to her started sneezing too, and the whole lot of them went into quarantine with her. It's just so frustrating! :evil:

Well, I didn't figure I would get away with ALL of them being resistant...I am just going to watch very carefully and snatch out the sneezers as they pop up.

The litter we just sent to freezer camp had allergies. I never saw so much sneezing! The paws would look wet, but there was no white discharge. I'll be honest, I didn't look close enough to see if there was a clear discharge. I figured as long as I couldn't see it, it should be allergies, since their mother used to sneeze occasionally, and she's had kits before that sneezed some. No other symptoms ever cropped up, and it was mainly two or three of them that did the sneezing.

Is there a chance that it's allergies? I know you wouldn't likely want to save a doe with allergies for breeding, but you may still be able to grow her out for meat.

Hopefully, none of the others start up with the sneezing. :clover:

She is old enough and big enough to use for meat, 4lbs at 9 weeks. It was not just little "achoo" sneezing, she was making a barking noise...definitely NOT a normal sound. I will butcher her and see what her insides look like...

With this bunch, I am SURE it is not allergies. The moms all had Pasteurella and had to be culled. I have been watching and expecting to see this, so I was prepared for it to happen.

Hopefully, we will get at least a few that are resistant. Otherwise, I will be buying more rabbits.

Miss M":tggg788c said:
The litter we just sent to freezer camp had allergies. I never saw so much sneezing! The paws would look wet, but there was no white discharge. I'll be honest, I didn't look close enough to see if there was a clear discharge. I figured as long as I couldn't see it, it should be allergies, since their mother used to sneeze occasionally, and she's had kits before that sneezed some. No other symptoms ever cropped up, and it was mainly two or three of them that did the sneezing.

Is there a chance that it's allergies? I know you wouldn't likely want to save a doe with allergies for breeding, but you may still be able to grow her out for meat.

Hopefully, none of the others start up with the sneezing. :clover:

I'm sorry to hear about your sneezer, OneAcreFarm. Hopefully, it'll be the only one. It's nice that it's big enough for the freezer though.

Sorry to hear about the bunny sneezing. Got my fingers crossed that it will be the only one.

Hey, I get to use it again! :p

image.php

Miss M":vrznanzg said:
Hey, I get to use it again! :p

image.php

Ba-ha-ha! I was going to PM you when I saw the date on the thread, but you are way ahead of me! :p

LOVE that "dead bunny".

Back