ooo, pulled fur!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
My young NZ red doe, who I paid to have bred to a pedigreed buck, didn't settle the first time. This time she is due Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 26th.

I lazily left the nestbox in, she has been eating hay out of it like a feeder...

Today I went to feed and my husband was standing there looking over my shoulder. He said, "she's pulling fur." WHAT?! lemme see!

Well, sure enough...early, but my fingers are crossed. :D

Don't want to discourage you, but does that pull fur etc. at around 17 days are often experiencing a false pregnancy. I'm too lazy to get the calendar out and check, but that's about where she is just now, isn't it?

Sigh, yep, bummer. But hey, on the up side, now I can go out of town that weekend without worrying... :)

I am about to give up and breed her to my mutt. With a few days worth of repeated breeding attempts, I know I can get her settled. But this hour drive before and after in a car can't be soothing to her. Plus in a few more months my own baby NZ buck will be old enough! Sigh.<br /><br />__________ Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:24 am __________<br /><br />Well, I didn't breed her again, just waited, wasn't sure if the "pulled" fur was just shedding...Hope springs eternal.

And now, about a week out, she has built another, SERIOUS nest, pulled a ton more fur...but she still doesn't look fat enough to me. sigh. I'll be so glad to finally have rabbits that do more than eat...if it ever happens.

I'd say this second "serious" nest is a good sign. It's too late for it to be a false pregnancy at this stage and she is getting close to it being time for the real thing. Lots of does never show outward signs of pregnancy. Keep your fingers crossed! :clover:

Nope she struck out again. I am rebreeding this weekend to my mutt, and just keep trying until she lifts for him. I decided rather than trying to breed a second doe, i'll just buy one this time...there are two I am looking at.

Latest posts

Back