Which one standard rex or mini lop??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
I'm debating on getting a mini lop or a standard rex. Can anyone tell me which one has a sweeter temperament? Size doesn't bother me. I need help picking which one. I know every rabbit has a unique personality to.

What is your plan for them? They are both good breeds for different purposes so it depends on your goals.

I need help picking a breed of rabbit. I am choosing from a standard rex and a mini lop. Which one has a sweeter/calmer temperament? Size doesn't matter. I know that each rabbit has their own individual temperament to. I need help deciding!

Well I'm biased to Rex of course, but i do like every lop I've ever met, so I'm no help.

If you like both breeds then you should find out which breed sells best in your area, and which colour. You dont want to get stuck with pet rabbits you cannot find homes for, unless your willing to cull them.

Standard Rex are a large breed of rabbit (8-11 pounds) and may not sell as well for pets as the smaller Mini Lops (4.5-6.5 lb).

Rex can also get sore hocks if kept on wire so you may need to factor in the type of housing you are going to use.

I have had both breeds and currently breed Mini lops/Lion lops and temperament wise I find both to have a very sweet temperament.

I have never had a standard rex....most mini rex I have had (not all, one is still here and is a sweetheart) have been little evil spaz butts but I heard standard are supposed to be nicer by a lot. Could just be the breeders of the minis in my area though. I have some Holland lops, the females I have are sweet but skittish, and the male loves everyone that will pet him, but I haven't been around mini lops. I suggest looking at the breeders of both in your area, and if possible look at thier adults to see which have friendly adults. Then go with the breed that has the friendliest parents, so you will have better odds of getting a sweet cuddle bunny.

I'm biased lol I love my Mini Lops. Depending on the breeder and where they came from, makes a huge difference in temperament. I only had one truely vicious Mini Lop when I started, but I should of paid attention to everyone else who discouraged me buying from the breeder and the amount of scratches on the breeder's arms. Even when they "say" they *wIll* cull a mean one, but excuse a Mini Lop ripping a chunk of flesh out at a show because he has so many legs, then everyone knows who to stay away from.

Otherwise, I have never had a problem. Good Mini Lops do come with a bit of a price tag, but it IS worth it. If you are getting in, a lot of people make the mistake of getting tri or some crazy color before they know the body type to breed for. My brokens tend to sell better than solids.

From bigger rabbitries, I've gotten rabbits that are super friendly and come up to the front of the cage, but hate to be picked up. I also gotten the weary doe that gave in after a couple months of offering oats. My homebreds are probably my sweetest rabbits because I don't have but 30 or so holes, so I can spend more one on one time and friends are always coming over or I'm always taking them to friends house's so they are unfazed about traveling.

If you get them, keep your bloodline short,sweet,and to the point. Try to stick to 2-3 lines unless it's really an exceptional Mini Lop. Proven stock is usually the way to go. They are excellent moms and I don't give it a second thought for litters. Bad moms have rarely happened. Always ask the doe's history with litters. I love my does to pull a ton of hair that it's practically overflowing the nesting box :)

Please don't post the same question to different sections of the forum (called cross-posting). You won't get an answer any faster, and you will only irritate the ones who could help you.

Also, don't expect instant replies to your posts. If you get an answer or two the same day you post, consider yourself fortunate.

I wasn't trying to get a faster reply. I posted in rabbits for children then realized posting it in pet rabbits would be better. I'm not trying to make anyone angry or annoyed and I don't understand why that would upset anyone. They see the same post then they don't have to reply again??? Sorry

I raise standard Rex and thoroughly enjoy their temperaments. The bucks are especially easy going.

But, as stated previously, they are a larger rabbit, and most people want small rabbits as pets.

Mini Lops aren't exactly tiny, either, but Lop ears have a great appeal to the pet market.

Your best bet is to visit a couple of rabbitries in your area (not on the same day, please, as you can bring disease from one rabbitry to another), or attend a rabbit show, and speak to the breeders about the qualities you are looking for.

Shows are listed on the ARBA website.

The most important thing is to start with healthy stock. If you see matted fur on the inner surface of the front legs, snotty noses, or hear a lot of sneezing, run away.

Best of luck deciding on your breed, and I hope you find some good stock to begin your project!

Sorry for posting this in two forums. I thought it would be better to post again in pet rabbits. I don't know how to delete a post. I'm not trying to upset anyone. I'm just trying to get advice because I'm trying to get into raising rabbits for show and pets. So sorry for cross posting!<br /><br />__________ Mon May 27, 2013 11:29 am __________<br /><br />The mini lops Are from grandpa T's rabbitry and the standard Rex's are from the double R rabbitry. The guy that breeds the Rex's has been doing it for 12 years and placed 12th in the nation last year ..so he's got an excellent track record! I don't know much about the other rabbitry but what he's offering looks very nice. He's 4 1/2 hours away and the rex breeder is 3 hours away but distance doesn't matter. Such a tuff decision, and I only have a week to decide:(

I am getting theses answers from my standard of perfection book by ARBA

All Rex rabbits are to be judged to the rex standard, not to the standards for the normal furred rabbits of similar colors. The distinctive characteristic of rex rabbits is the fur structure. As compared with the normal rabbit fur, Rex fur is short and plush like, stands upright, and has guard hairs almost as short as the undercoat.
Myself: I have a rex male myself, I spend a lot of time with him and he follows me everywhere. He is very babyish and loves kid and to be cuddled.

It is the utmost of importance that a Mini Lop be properly posed. When properly posed. When properly posed the toes of the front feet will be resting just under the cheeks, and even with the eyes. The general aspect is of the massive thickset body. Solid Pattern is to include all recognized colors within the recognized groups.
Myself: I has a mini lop and it was very friendly but a little lazy.

:bunnyhop:

I'll delete your other post and move this to pet rabbits for you. :)

Have you considered space considerations? You could probably use smaller cages for the mini lops.

And... be warned... despite your best intentions to raise only one breed of rabbit, it probably wont happen.

Rabbits are highly addictive, and there are so many breeds to choose from, that it is nearly impossible to resist for long. ;)

Since you have gotten several replies here, I am going to merge this post with your other. :)

Alright someone is being really rude to me about posting in two forums. I'm new to this kind of stuff so didn't know the rules or what cross posting was. I'm just trying to get advice ..and don't want to upset anyone. I'm sorry everyone! I really wasn't trying to get quick replies. Also I'd like to thank mamasheepdog for merging my posts. I don't know how to that lol

I saw one person mentioning it on here...probably meant it only in a way to let you know for future reference...but if someone is harassing you about it in private messages or something maybe message a moderator to let them know? If they are being really rude then the mods may step in for you.

It's been settled. We talked it out and she explained herself in a better way.

alch0my":1dhqfyyt said:
I'm new to this kind of stuff so didn't know the rules or what cross posting was. I'm just trying to get advice ..and don't want to upset anyone. I'm sorry everyone! I really wasn't trying to get quick replies.

Hi Alch0my!

RabbitTalk is not as strict as many other forums, and we do not have any rules about "cross posting" at this time. We may need to implement that in the future as the forum grows, but as of now there is no need.

It is my understanding that it is considered poor internet etiquette to cross post, but I have very little experience anywhere but this site, so I am pretty clueless myself when it comes to proper form. :roll:

I don't know about other forums, but here on RT I have observed that usually new posts are responded to very quickly and by multiple users. However, sometimes even though there have been a lot of "views", people may not know the answer or they may not be members of the site, so you may not get as many answers as it seems you should have.

If you have any questions about how to use certain features, please don't hesitate to ask. I know I had a hard time navigating around when I first joined! :roll:

alch0my":1dhqfyyt said:
Also I'd like to thank mamasheepdog for merging my posts. I don't know how to that lol

You're welcome! Happy to help. :)

That is not a feature available to you. If you want a topic moved or deleted, the Mods or Admin need to do it for you.

Welcome again to the forum! I hope you find the information here to be helpful.

--Mamasheepdog<br /><br />__________ Thu May 30, 2013 11:45 am __________<br /><br />Ahem!

Now, back to the topic at hand... have you considered Mini Rex instead of Standard? They are very popular as pets and show rabbits, and still have that amazing Rex fur.

I think they would fit your needs much better than the Standard Rex, unless you are also considering a meat rabbit program.

I have decided on mini lops and holland lops. I just love their little spunky attitudes lol. I purchased some quality mini lops and a couple nice holland lops from 2 really good breeders. I have to drive 4 1/2 hours to get my mini lops but they're going to be worth the drive. The female holland lop isn't as far and she's awsome. She's a real pretty blue otter. The mini lops I'm getting are a orange buck, frosty doe and a broken tort buck. They are all so adorable. Later on I'd like to get into raising mini rex or standard rex, but I think I should stick with lops for now. I do love Rex's though! I am getting a beautiful english angora soon. I got first pick of the litter ..so happy and excited. These are very nice english angoras with excellent pedigree. The angora is going to be one spoiled bunny lol.

Back