guess what i found?!:(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
a kitcicle. GRRRR stupid rabbit had it ON TOP of the nest boxes and it fell behind the boxes and got caught in the cage wire. perfectly formed looked like a black. I am sooooo frustrated no nesting activities from her nothing she had 5 nest boxes in there why not have it in one of them?<br /><br />__________ Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:19 pm __________<br /><br />I am so frustrated. She was my first doe to actually take and breed. and she does this. UGH someone tell me this is just because she is a first time mama? Tell me she will do better next time! and when can i try to rebreed her?

Yeah, I remember what it's like. One of the first litters born here, one kit got pulled out of the box at about two days old. I felt really bad about it. But... if you're going to breed rabbits, there will be occasional losses. You learn to accept it and concentrate on the successes.

I found one of Clone's (first time momma) squished up between the litterbox and the wire. :x another was on the ground. She totally ignored the nestbox. It IS really frustrating. I'm not an old hand at this yet, but I'm learning to just let it go, and try to give the doe better help the next time.

What helps me get through it is having more than one doe pregnant. :) This last bunch from the American Doe, Bessie, were born without a hitch, 7 alive and healthy, and they're currently all looking like fat round hippos. and HUGE. my god...

try not to blame the rabbit - she didn't get instructions on how to do this - and I actually find singles often cause problems ..

Whether it's one nestbox or 10 doesn't seem to make any difference. Mine so far have been all or nothing. They either use a nestbox the instant it's provided or they refuse and try to make due with whatever corner they choose. Several people have told me first time mothers nearly always loose the litter. Apparently we've been lucky since all the does who have gotten bred have nested fine even if they didn't use a nestbox. Twix had some swelling and discomfort that kept her from initially caring for her kits and we lost a champagne doe to a prolasped uterus after she built a nice nest in the corner of the colony but that's more bad luck than bad parenting on their part. Of course the doe with no pedigree kindled and raised her first litter perfectly. I'm thinking she might be worth breeding again just to have a good doe available when others are due but I can't gurantee we can find pet quality kits homes and my husband is currently against butchering the extra mini rex because they are too cute. I'm hoping he'll get over it when we have more and bigger litters so he can't get to know each individual as well.

Latest posts

Back