It was going well and then... she mentioned ....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a young doe that I was growing out that just isn't turning out like I had hoped. She's fussy about being moved around, and her face is just 'odd'.
Got a lovely email from a young lady wanting to purchase a rabbit and this one suited her qualifications.
pedigreed holland lop.
fawn.
female.
young.
mild-mannered.

great.
have things working out and then she mentioned she belonged to an animal rescue so if it didn't work out she could find the bun a new home.

I looked up the animal rescue.

ACK! This is the rescue: http://rescueangels.vacau.com/index.php
Rescue Angels Society has a strong goal to educate the public about the great nature of Rabbits and put a stop to Animal Abuse, Murder for Meat & Fur, Lab testing and used as food for snakes!

Talk about giving me the huge heebie geebies.

I wrote her a nice email back and said I'd be happy to meet her anywhere other than my house or even my town. I won't have her here. I explained why.

if it does work out and she wants the pedigree I'll be typing it out without my home address on it.

Once bitten twice shy.. I've foolishly been bitten a couple of times and simply won't have anything to do with a rescue such as that one.

It was going so well......

I talked it over with hubby and he doesn't want her anywhere near here either.

I have a big snake order coming up so if she doesn't sell in the next two weeks she (the rabbit) won't be here anymore anyways. The rabbit will find a good use for herself. :)

Here's the email that I sent her

Here's the scoop.

Though I do some rescue, and have helped out a local rescue, I've had VERY negative run ins with rescue of the type that are you are associated with.

This makes me extremely leery of having you come anywhere near my place or my family.

I am a firm believer that rabbits are a multi-purpose animal.
Reading the website of the rescue just gave me a shivers.....it stands for everything that I fear for in the rabbit world.
I am a huge advocate for animal WELFARE. That means animals being treated well from birth to death. Not animal rights where people are expected to treat animals like miniature people. Animals aren't people, people aren't animals. There is indeed a difference.

I have a huge appreciation for rabbits as pets, but I also have an appreciation for them as fur and wool bearing animals, as well as for their usefulness as a food source for omnivorous and carnivorous animals (whose owners have the responsibility to equally care well for).

So though I'd love to get Spring to you, I don't want you here at my place.

That just concerns me in regards to my family and for my rabbits. Many animal rights people are so less than kind that I just don't want to have my family exposed to that.

You know the expression once bitten twice shy? Well consider me twice bitten and extremely shy.

Do know that I will happily meet you in Kitchener or in London.

Thank you for understanding.

ladysown":1imuxigk said:
Quote:
Rescue Angels Society has a strong goal to educate the public about the great nature of Rabbits and put a stop to Animal Abuse, Murder for Meat & Fur, Lab testing and used as food for snakes!

You forgot this part:

Please Join us and help put a Stop to these crazy acts of Evil.

I just checked the wesite, and the only page with any text is the home page. :?

Nice email, Ladysown. I like how you always try to educate people on other uses for rabbits despite their strong views to the contrary. :)

Yikes! I wouldn't want her near my house or family either!

She might ask your son what he thinks of his mother being a murderer! That's the kind of stuff they do. And then she might come back later to rescue the rest of your rabbits.

Excellent email to her. I like that you were very up-front.

MSD ..... I completely missed that crazy acts of evil part.

ACK... I want to run, run far far away...

But doing that means they win.
So I can't run.
But I can draw a line in the sand and say this far and no further.

And coming to my house...simply ain't happening.

Very nice email.

I probably would have just said that it sounded like she wasn't fully committing to the rabbit and you can not in good conscience sell a rabbit when the buyer already has a plan to possibly place it into a rescue. That is not fair to the rabbit.

For me, that website would do it. I just wouldn't be willing to make the effort to meet somewhere or go out of my way.

UGGGHHH!!! "Murder for Meat & Fur"??????? MURDER???? I agree with MSD--run VERY far and VERY fast in the opposite direction!

:furious: :rant: :explode: :gun:

Crazy acts of evil? Murder? MURDER??? Holy cow yeah I can see the crazy...and it isn't from the folk who eat rabbits or wear their fur, if y'all catch my drift here.

Yah, don't let anyone who deals with them anywhere near your home or family...that's SCARY.

Murder is the act of a human killing another human....

Nope, no murder here!!

I really love asking those types why a rabbit is more important than a snake. Or what, exactly, a snake should eat, if eating meat is murder.

oh what a snake should eat?

That I know the answer to....

"either a meat kibble (as that's what snakes in need of rescue can have given to them) OR rats and mice, or when they get really big you should give them pigs ...but not pot bellied pigs"

That's off the pet rabbit boards.

Yes...I challenged that. :) Nicely, but I did challenge it.

LMAO that's just... wow. Just wow. So... rats and mice and pigs(but not potbelly pigs) are okay to be used as snake chow, but not bunnies? I just don't understand these people.

Let us know if/when you get a response?

I don't really understand some people, yes I have 'house bunnies' but know that rabbits (like sheep, cattle and chickens) are multi purpose animals and there's thousands of people who eat rabbit instead of other meats... I've seen posts of other 'house bunny' forums complaining about how people here in Australia "kill innocent bunnies" - umm, they're feral rabbits and are the reason we need vaccinations against Myxo and Calici.

Not to mention that in the Great Depression hundreds of thousands of farming families had nothing to eat but the rabbits they caught

She just wants to free the bunny from your evil, murderous clutches.

Why don't you see the good she's doing?
images

:?

I think we might be taking these people a little too seriously. Look at their facebook page and you can see that they only have 68 likes. On a social network that big, they're pretty insignificant. Lots of people will like a page without understanding what the promoters stand for.

I would highly recommend cutting all contact with the person immediately and without explanation. These people have the hallmarks of single dimension radicals. They really don't deserve an explanation and will likely use whatever you say against you to the best of their limited ability.

Latest posts

Back