Sneezing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I don't like any sneeze in the barn. I'd say quarantine and sulmet to be safe, but that's just me. XD Most other people wouldn't care as long as there's no snot... But in my experience, sneezing has led to snot the next week. T.T;

Epic,
I would quarantine any rabbit that shows any sign of illness.
Care for that rabbit last after all others have been taken care of.
I would NOT treat with any medication, you do not want to mask
any possible symptoms which may appear in a few days/weeks.
No rabbit is worth risking the health of the entire herd.
Give the rabbit a few weeks to a month and if all is well,
no changes for the worse I would think about replacing the rabbit
back with the herd. Sometimes sneezing is due to: Dust, strange smells,
like cologne or detergent used by the owner or guests.
I would not jump on eliminating the rabbit permanently
but it would be jelling in the back of my mind.
I hope all turns out well for you and the rabbit!
Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

That's the dilemma... at current time, my whole herd is sold, but the one that was sneezing & 2 more. The sneezy one and the other 2 are living in my house, as I was keeping them. So at this point, they are my starter stock for a new breed. :S

So they are pretty much in quarantine.
When I see snot is when I will panic & boot them out.
Thanks everyone.

Edit - They are in an exercise pen near my front door. They have newspaper on the floor that is frequently changed. I mop the floor once/twice a day to ensure there is no pee left on the tiles, they have a litterbox with carefresh & hay, pellets & water.
:shock: So I don't think it's anything I gave them causing them to sneeze :s

Carefresh bedding. That stuff is sooo nasty, we used it for a bit for our indoor rabbits it had this weird (I have no idea how to describe it) dust in it that was veeerrryyy sketchy.

Pearl used to sneeze sometimes, and so did some of her first litter. Nothing ever came of it. Once we moved from Florida, it stopped. I never realized it until now.

So I guess that sometimes it isn't illness, but rather some sensitivity to something in the air - pollen, dust, hay... Most on here cull for that, too, though, seeing it (correctly) as an issue with hardiness and resistance. You do want your herd as resilient and hardy as possible.

I didn't really have much choice... it was the sneezy but not sick rabbit, or no doe at all. At least she's not sneezy any more. But I can't really tell you why. :shrug:

DevonW":3b9ja7rf said:
Carefresh bedding. That stuff is sooo nasty, we used it for a bit for our indoor rabbits it had this weird (I have no idea how to describe it) dust in it that was veeerrryyy sketchy.

Do you think that is what it is? The hay I have been giving them is dusty too :O

The litter and hay combined could be the main cause especially if they've never been on that type of bedding before or had hay before.

I have a doe who sneezes. It's simply sneezing. It's never developed into anything more, and none of the others in the colony ever picked it up. A few of her kits sneeze, too. Since she didn't start to sneeze until she was 8 months old, and the girls had been in the colony together for months, it didn't seem worth while to isolate her..the others already had whatever it was if it was contagious. Turns out it was just sneezes. (It's particularly noticeable with her when I change bedding and there's fresh dust in the air)

That said. If I brought a new rabbit into the rabbitry, and after it went through it's month long quarantine it started to sneeze..it would stay in quarantine for another month, or until there were other symptoms. If it was a particularly valuable (to me) animal, I'd take it to my vet for bloodwork or whatever.

Quarantine rabbits have their own space here. Own feeders and waterers and areas. I also give them an extra dose of mineral/vitamins in the water to help boost any immune system problems so they don't succumb to stress related things.

Latest posts

Back