How many does per buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
If I wanted as many does as I could get bred reliably in a month to one buck, how many does would that be?

Don't worry, not buying any right now. More like next year. :D

A decent buck can breed a minimum of 3 does in the morning and 3 does in the evening in one day reliably. So I would say 1 to at least 10 does.

yep 10 does to a buck. Though i like to have 1 extra buck just in case something happens to my main buck. That way im not rushed into buy a not so great buck or having to wait 6 or more months for one to be raised.

You always need a backup buck.

Else, a good buck can service at least 30 does a month, as long as they are spread out. I suspect one could mate a good buck once in the morning once in the evening and service 60 does a month. I have more bucks than I should, but I have often bred one of them to two does a morning for three days in a row. I keep extra bucks for different reasons, but two good bucks could service more does than almost anyone has (except for commercial breeders)

A lot. Mocha could easily breed more than 10 does. Even at only 1 doe a day you could breed ~30 a month before the first one reaches it's due date. Most bucks could probably breed 2 does a day reliably. I've had Mocha cover 3 in a day and I had to pull him off the 3rd one because he wouldn't stop despite his sides heaving from effort. :lol: Mocha knows his job. Ashige doesn't have things figured out that well and would probably not accomplish breeding more than 1 doe in a day.

Back