Materials used in drop trays......

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use pine shavings right now, but in the corners only. I found that anywhere other than the corners was a waste of pine, which also meant a waste of money. I plan on trying the horse pellets after I get one with this bag of pine, but am only going to use it in the corners still. Trial and Error I suppose. :( What really sucks about mine is I have about 20 rabbits, give or take and I am in an apartment. So I also have to change the trays every other day and try to find something to neutralize the odor.
Good luck and let me know what works for you!

Rachel

A few thoughts.

I have my rabbits in a shed (dirt floors) it works much better to not use trays and let the manure fall though. This works even better if one feed them a handful of hay a day as they will let about half of it fall through.

If you need to use trays, and you like cat litter, be aware that most cat litter is made of expanded clay. If you can not find cat litter without medication/perfume then use "oil dry" which is the same thing an probably cheaper (check first, some oil dry is made of saw dust) The dust should not be a problem, there is very little dust in oil dry, and it should be no problem since the rabbits can not stir it up. Since the oil dry (and untreated cat litter) is nothing but clay, there is no problem putting it in a garden.

If there is an (ammonia) odor build up in a place as open as a barn, it must be too closed-off, (like a pole barn) a regular barn should automatically have plenty of ventilation.

After reading everything you all had to say, i think i might try the litter in the trays. I've talked to a few more vets since then and they all agree that as long as they don't physically come into contact with the litter. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes!

Thanks everyone!

In the Summer I don't put anything in the drop trays because of all the vents and windows being open and have excellent airflow, and the fact I clean a lot more in the summer. In the Winter when everything is closed up I use Stall Dry (for horse stalls) which completely neutralizes the ammonia smell, and it also helps compost the waste faster.

DevonW":2gamklua said:
In the Summer I don't put anything in the drop trays because of all the vents and windows being open and have excellent airflow, and the fact I clean a lot more in the summer. In the Winter when everything is closed up I use Stall Dry (for horse stalls) which completely neutralizes the ammonia smell, and it also helps compost the waste faster.

I will look into stall dry. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back