ok it is done!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
i finally got the bucks cages in the rabbitry, so now thier cages are out of the snow and wind and now hopefully thier water wont freeze 20 min after i give it to them

Here's a thought.

When you give them water, give them warm water. Mine always seemed to enjoy having a warm drink on cold winter days, and they drink it like there's no tomorrow.

I give warm/hot water in the winter two to three times per day.
I was always schooled that: Hot/warm water freezes faster than cold water!
This is probably true, but not if the Rabbits already drank it! :mbounce:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

In most cases it should all freeze at the same time. The more temperature difference there is between 2 things the faster one loses heat. So very hot water should lose heat faster than cold water resulting in them freezing at nearly the same time given that you aren't starting with water barely above freezing already. Hot water freezing faster is the Mpemba effect and is not fully explained or consistently reproduced so it's not always true. It is seen occasionally when certain circumstances exist.

I only use warm/hot water when trying to melt snow such as when the pipes to the stable freeze and we have to haul all the horse's water out from the house. It saves some trips on my bad knee to be able to shovel snow in as part of the water even if it actually takes longer to get as much water. That's when I need a boost of heat right away and my goal is not to have the water stay unfrozen as long as possible but to melt as much snow as quickly as possible.

Latest posts

Back