It didn't go as planned, but we do have a kits!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothingman

Reaction score
We're raising our first two does in an indoor colony setting with Rocky the buck in his own cage on the other side of the barn.

50 days ago we put each doe in with Rocky, watched them mate several times, and then we put all three rabbits in the colony setting (Rocky first) and they lived together happily for 28 days when we decided to remove Rocky to let the does kid in peace.

The colony is on a concrete floor with stacks of straw bales, giving the does plenty of chance to create tunnels. We did place nesting boxes inside but the does seemed to ignore them.

Day 36 after breeding came and went, no sign up nest building whatsoever. Day 45 after breeding... nothing, except one doe developed a dewlap. We checked all tunnels for kits... nothing.

Two days ago the does had a fight, their first ever, and a little blood was spilled, along with a LOT of fur. And then yesterday, my wife saw a particularly large clump of fur against the back wall and, without really thinking, put her hand into it to see what was going on, touched something warm and moving, and ran out of the barn screaming :lol:

I counted five kits but they were less than a couple of hours old and my hands were freezing so I didn't want to get too close. I wish they were in the nesting box, or at least a tunnel, instead of against a wall. Momma doe did cover them very well in fur though, fingers crossed the little ones stay in place!

The problem is... we're not sure who the momma is yet!

This will be a first litter for both does and I kinda expected to lose at least some kits anyway but seeing those tiny, hairless little buggers is both exhilarating and terrifying in fairly equal measure. We're unsure of whether the other doe will kid any time now or whether to remove the non-momma (once we know who she is) to avoid any problems.

One thing we have noticed... the does have gone from being bestest fwends in the wholewide world to dewlap doe being alpha-witch and taking over the food bowl, so I have to assume she is momma until I know for sure.

I thought I had researched everything and was ready, but seeing the litter... I feel completely unprepared all over again and feel the need to research as much as I can about this.

Wish me luck... :D

WOW! well. um. First off, CONGRATULATIONS!! but man alive that's ODD! :D

The biggest problem I've seen with colony living (buck with the does) is you just never know WHEN to expect a litter.

About the tunnels...it's quite possible that they've been using the tunnels as hidey holes, and potty corners so the doe didn't feel comfortable putting her nest in there. You might try adding an actual nest box or tunnel made from wood. I suppose it's also possible, since you're in a barn, that the does have discovered mice nesting in the back area?

anyway. You could put a shallow box around the kits...so that they don't crawl away or get dragged away when mamma feeds them. Something made from 1x4s or 1x6s? or pieces of plywood. big enough for momma to be in without crushing the babies. Or an upside down rubbermaid type tub, with a hole cut into the end so the doe can enter?

It's a tough call... but I think I would leave them where they are and add insulating nesting material such as dryer lint, feathers from a pillow, teased cotton balls or batting or - best of all - fur saved for the purpose. A nest box is desirable, of course, and if you decide to put them in one, be sure to place it in the same spot as the original nest.

Raising rabbits in a colony, particularly an indoor colony, has its own challenges and there is not a great deal of written information to help one out. If you remove the second doe, you defeat the purpose of having a colony in the first place. I speculate that the second doe showed too much curiosity about the new kits and momma was over-zealous in defending them. Now that limits are established ("geez, I only wanted to look at them!") things may well settle down.

I very recently moved my rabbits to a similar indoor colony. I kept the buck with them and intend to continue to do so. There is no indication that the buck's presence will adversely affect kindling and raising the young. He's a pretty mellow guy and I would prefer to give this way a chance. I think, however, that one must be flexible when sailing in uncharted waters... prepared to think on your feet and listen to your gut feelings. Hope this goes well for you and that you will post updates as the situation evolves.

I would not touch or alter that nest in any way. It sounds like she pulled a lot of fur to cover them and the babies will naturally seek to keep warm and won't leave on their own unless they get too hot (normally). Just keep an eye on them frequently! :)

Well, I have an update.

The litter is completely underneath a fur blanket of the momma's creation and it didn't seem to be moving, I figured I should remove any dead ASAP so I peeled back the blanket... they started wriggling and squeaking like some freakish bald aliens! It was great :D

I counted eight this time, all alive, but with so much writhing and wriggling it was hard to tell. And there is a LOT of heat under the blanket that I don't fear them becoming cold at all. Trampling and starving are the most obvious potential problems, time will tell...

That's great! Obviously momma did a good job of nest building, even if she didn't pick the best place. I would think that by now the other doe knows where they are and will avoid them so as not to arouse the Wrath of Momma. Next time you check the kits, take one or two out and look at their bellies. They should be nice and round and smooth, not wrinkly and flat or sunken. Sometimes they are so full that they look like they've swallowed a grape. :D

Just out of curiosity....

If only one doe developed a dewlap, have you checked non-dewlap doe just to be SURE she's a doe? Not saying does ALWAYS get big dewlaps, but sometimes that sex-change-fairy can play the oddest tricks... :eek:

Back