rabbit behavior

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah J

Reaction score
I have a rabbit a female rex that gave birth to baby rabbits about 8weeks ago. There are 4 babies, i noticed today that the mother rabbit was grabbing the 8 week old babies by the side and trying to drag them under a hutch. She was showing some aggression towards the babies and was even pulling at their sides so hard she pulled out some of their fur. Why would she be pulling on her babies like that? And also i noticed that she was trying to build a nest under the hutch as well taking grass and things like she was trying to create a nest. Why would she be creating a nest ? I dont believe she is pregnant because she has not been around any other rabbits but her babies and i dont think they are old enough to mate with her. Are they? I feared she would kill the babies so i separated her from them.

At eight weeks, does sometimes get fed up with the youngsters and become a bit aggressive. It could be some are still trying to nurse. You did the right thing to separate them. I doubt the doe is pregnant... Although if a buck is housed in the next cage it is not unknown for rabbits to mate through the wire. She may be having a false pregnancy in which case that accounts for her behaviour.

At 8 weeks, they should not be old enough to successfully mate with her. Usually, they aren't even doing dominance displays (which look like mating) at that age. Since she's trying to create a nest, though, Maggie's right... it sounds like she's experiencing a false pregnancy.

Unless, of course, there is a mature buck in the cage next to her. Then she actually could be pregnant.

Different breeders separate kits differently. Some wait til 8 weeks, others (like myself) separate around 6 weeks, others separate them earlier. Some remove all of them at once, others a kit or two a day.

It would be good to go ahead and give her a nest box, just in case, as close to the nest she is building as possible (in the same spot if you can), and move her nest to it. Just in case. :)

Sarah,
the kits should be weaned/separated from the Dam
by eight weeks and often sooner.
The Doe is tired of them and is trying to run them off.
Give the weanlings their own home and allow the Dam a break.
She deserves it!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

It sounds like she tried to pluck hair from the kits to make a nest.
I've had a doe this before.. there was no nesting material so she plucked the extended wool that grew on the hind of the buck and she took it to the nest.

She should be ok if you give her straw to use as nesting material.

Thank you for all the help, the buck was separated from the mom and babies when i found out she was pregnant. To avoid the buck from impregnating her again after the babies were born and so he would not hurt the babies. I think she is experiencing a false pregnancy. After separating mom and babies all seem to be doing better. I thought she was maybe trying to wean them, but i was not sure. These are the first momma and baby rabbits ive ever had. Its all new to me, but i adopted the mom and dad rabbit. Of course i did not know one was male and one was female til the female came up pregnant. So sexing rabbits is what i am trying to learn now, so i can separate the babies from eachother before they are old enough to mate. I do believe i have boy and girl babies, but i know sometimes its hard to tell because they are still rather small. So i have been checking each week. What is the appropriate age to separate the babies so they can not mate with eachother? I have read different things, so i thought id ask.

babies should be separated from each other by 12 weeks of age.

by eight weeks you should be able to sex them well.

Back