Moving kits to outside

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessguy

Reaction score
So here's the history:
I got into raising rabbits the first week of October. Picked up 4 rabbits that I put up in individual cages that I built in my garage. Admittedly, these cages weren't well thought out, on the small-ish side and not fair to the bunnies. I've since built new outdoor hutches, similar to what Boyd showed in his message on the INtro forum. I've moved my male and 2 of the does to the outdoor hutches. Much cleaner, roomier, and no added smell to the garage.

Today's situation:
My 3rd doe kindled on Nov 12th. She's a lionhead that I mated with my Palomino buck, and yeilded 6 healthy kits (all alive as of 10 minutes ago, now on day 4). This does is still in the garage cage, because I'm worried about moving the kits. I live in Eastern Ontario (probably close to MaggieJ), and am worried about the kits being cold. My outdoor hutches have permanent "nest boxes" that are closed appendages to the hutch. These are stuffed with straw and darn-near wind-proof.

Question: When would it be safe to move the doe and her litter to the outdoor hutch? Winter is coming, and I wouldn't want to lose my first litter.

Thanks,
GG

you can move them out now as long as she's got a good nest of fur around them.

They will be fine. Mine are outside 24/7, just had a new litter born today.

Your problem time will be day 9-10 when you change out the nestbox. They will crawl around a bit then so change it out on a day that you are home, do it in the morning at the start of morning chores, keep a close eye on them then, and check on them every 1/2 or so for the rest of the day.

I think I might need to clarify: The current nest box is not going into the new hutch. The new hutch has its own nest box.

I'll have to remove them from the current next, and make one for them in the new nest box? Can I just transfer some of the materials, and let the Mom re-arrange it?

you can just transfer the whole works. :)

just put some straw in the new box, then take the kits out with the loose fur. Then move the straw, the interwoven fur- put that in the new box (use your fist to make a nest hole by punching into the straw and twisting), place the kits in, put the fur on top. It will all be good.

I agree: just transfer the whole nest. At least this week is on the mild side.

So you're in my neck of the woods, Guinnessuy? Eastern Ontario covers a fair bit of territory, though. Where are you near? I'm in Prince Edward County, south of Trenton.

yeah, Ottawa gets a lot colder. have a brother who lives up that way and boy... it's COLD there. :) Lots of straw for those bunnies...but more importantly...keep any wind off them.

Back