Stackable cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billylilwigeon

Reaction score
I've decided to make use of my storage shed and go with stackable cage systems. I'm getting the 3-wides from Koenig's in IL, measuring 30X24 per hole, and will stack them 3 high. They come complete with name tags, urine guards and drip pans.

Anyone else use stacking cage systems with theirs? Just curious what challenges (if anything) to expect.

I have one three stack cage.
The cages are 24 X 24 I use them as young buck holding pens.
The only problem I have with it is:
You have got to empty the trays at least every other day.
I prefer my hanging cages which are two high.
I empty the dropping trays at least once per week if not more often.
If you are happy with whatever system you choose, that is all that matters.
As time goes by you will see what actually works best for you
and you will gravitate toward it.
Best of luck with your new system
Ottersatin.

Yeah Otter, it will be a bit of a learning experience for me, but even when I had rabbits outdoors the last time around, I had a 3-cage stackable unit and it worked well for what it was and how it was being used. Of course, when you're a teenager, doing a rabbit breeding operation pretty much by yourself and someone offers you something like that, you take whatever you can get.

This time around, I'm going with the stackables because it's feasible for me to do so. Big on up-front costs, but very suitable for how I am situated and what I have to work with (relatively small storage building with a wooden floor), and I have to think upward. I will use fans during the fall and spring, and a portable A/C unit during the summer to control temperatures in the building.

2-3 years from now, I plan to buy my own home outside of town and put in my own building. The stackables will work well there, too. Until then, I am limited to how much I am doing.

I'm trying to pull the funds together for the stackable cages. When you have the space and set-up, I do prefer a single level open to the ground, or a double level with poo slides for the top, but working in tight spaces or harsh climates, nothing beats those multi-level stackers in a building. It's SO much nicer to be able to stand under cover to take care of things rather than huddled up going from hutch to hutch. I also think that with the number of holes, the wire stackers are cheaper than hutches, since I would also have to build wooden nest boxes for EVERY hole with our winters.

It just makes a lot of sense in some situations, even though emptying trays is a pain.

ooo, I'm so glad not to clean poo trays any more...luckily all I have to worry about is rain, so I'd rather get rained on and use a shovel and rake than drag out smelly, drippy pans of poo. I do love the space saving qualities of stackers though, keep trying to invent the self-cleaning stacker! :lol:

I have stackers from Klubertanz, KW Cages, and Pointer Hill. They all came with urine guards, but I pulled them out of several of the cages because I found some of the rabbits would back up too close to them and splashing could result. Without the guards sometimes pee ends up on the floor and of course some bucks spray anyway, but at least the white stays white, etc. I also use clear shower curtains for the walls and and landscaping plastic under the stacks to keep the floor in good shape underneath. I sweep and clean the floor frequently anyway, but I change out the plastic every season completely. I also wash the shower curtains when they get messy, especially around the bucks.

I agree with Dennis that the trays need to be cleaned daily or at least every other day. I put shavings in the pee corners of the tray for absorption after I clean them and sprinkle an enzyme on top to keep the smell down. Even with good ventilation, I have found it helps there from being a urine smell right around the cages. Also, the long heavy cages like the 36" X 24"s are kind of a pain for me because I have a bad back from a riding accident if lifting is an issue for you. All my others are have plastic trays, but these have galvanized pans and are heavy/awkward to pull out of the top level stack without dropping it. The long cages are good for my larger breeds so I keep them around, but I will probably replace them with 30" X "30" with plastic trays when I can.

The last thing I'd recommend is to check with some folks that have cages from your vendor and make sure they are happy. I love my KW cages and my Klubertanz have held up great also (stackers from each company are at least several years old and look new), but my Pointer Hill ones were made with bad or cheap wire (I don't know which) and are in very poor shape after slightly more than a year. I e-mailed the company to tell them the problem and let them know I was disappointed + provided pictures. They never even bothered to write or call me back, so that was an expensive lesson learned.

Best of luck!

Lauren

Edit: PS. You were probably already planning to do this, but I'd recommend you leave a little bit of space between the stackers so you can clean around the legs where fallen hay tends to gather. I didn't do this the first time around and it was a pain later on. :)

Lauren, visqueen (construction plastic for the floors) is an excellent idea I probably should have thought of ahead of time. I'm sure I'll be glad I did so when I move to my new location in the not-too-distant future. I 'll probably even tack it up on the walls of the building to keep any urine from spraying/soaking into them.

I had previously been able to view some of Koenig's finished stacked cage products and get some feedback on them at a show in Central Tennessee. The concensus seemed to be that their products were as good as advertised. I already have one of their show carriers and in hindsight I wish that all my carriers had come from them.

The cages come with plastic drip pans, but I'll admit that I'm a bit apprehensive about not using galvanized metal pans. In about 15 years when I'm in my 60's, I'll probably be glad that I went with the lighter weight pans. LOL!!!

And yes, I had planned to leave a few inches between stacked units to allow for intermediate cleaning in between spring cleanings.

The plastic pans are WONDERFUL!!
You will love 'em. ;) Trust me. hehe. I have both metal and plastic pans, and I love the plastic ones the best by far. They are MUCH easier to scrub clean. :)

Emily

I ended up getting a couple of 3-tiered stackables from Bass, and they arrived tonight. Pretty fast service, considering that I just ordered them this past Friday. I have all 6 cages put together already, and tomorrow night will work on getting the legs, feeders, etc., set up.

Saturday afternoon I leave for Peoria to pick up my black satin quartet. The excitement is killing me right now.

Best of luck with
your new setup and Black Satins Billy. :clap:
I have a few Black Satins myself.
They're kind of like a new shiny Black Automobile,
you just can't beat the Sheen of a well groomed Black Satin! :bouncy:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I love my stacking cages! They work out great for me, and its not like i am crammed for space. I clean mine out once or twice a week and i find that works out fine. I like the look of them too, they look nice.

Good luck with your new set up - im sure you will enjoy it!

What cages were you using before?

ottersatin":1c0z96lq said:
Best of luck with
your new setup and Black Satins Billy. :clap:
I have a few Black Satins myself.
They're kind of like a new shiny Black Automobile,
you just can't beat the Sheen of a well groomed Black Satin! :bouncy:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Did I ever mention that my best-ever rabbit when I was showing prior to the military was a black satin doe?

You're absolutely correct. When their fur is "on", they're hard to beat on the show table.

__________ Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:49 am __________

Jesse L":1c0z96lq said:
I love my stacking cages! They work out great for me, and its not like i am crammed for space. I clean mine out once or twice a week and i find that works out fine. I like the look of them too, they look nice.

Good luck with your new set up - im sure you will enjoy it!

What cages were you using before?

I'm getting back into the showroom and rabbit raising after 25 years. The last time I had rabbits, I mainly had outdoor hutches, and had 3 Bass Equipment stackables. The first time around, most of my showroom success was with satins, and that's the direction I'm going in now.<br /><br />__________ Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:26 am __________<br /><br />Tonight's the night I'm going up to pick up my starters. I'm leaving right after work, and I can hardly wait.

Latest posts

Back