Beet Pulp

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamsFamilyFarm

Reaction score
I was talking to a lady who was talking about feeding beet pulp to her horses. I looked it up, just out of curiosity and saw that some people feed it to their rabbits. Has anyone done this? Is there any nutritional advantage? We're raising for meat pens, so I was wondering if it might give us some advantage.

Helps with condition and adds fibre. We just feed shredded beet pulp dry, just a bit at a time. You do have to watch out for the kinds that are sweetened with molasses as you don't want too much sugar/carbs!

I got a bag of beet pulp because I have a buck that is a hard keeper (e.g. he is always hovering around his lower weight limit). My wife said that when you feed it to horses you need to soak it first. Is this nessesary for rabbits?
Thanks.

You don't have to soak it for horses. Some horses have choked on beet pulp however these horses would have choked on something else eventually. It's just probably noticed more in horses fed beet pulp because it tends to be fed to horses who have health issues including teeth problems and that's why the owners aren't just using hay or grain. It does make it more palatable to soak it and some animals will not eat it without it being soaked but it is not a health risk.

In the past I have feed beet pulp Pellets to the herd in the colder months.
I mixed it in a five gallon bucket with very hot water.
You don't need much of the Pellets as the swell greatly.
I would feed it in separate bowls and the rabbits seemed to like it.
My opinion is: It is much like having a bowl of hot cereal on a cold day.
They got there pelleted feed as well as the Pulp mix.
Ottersatin :typing:

Latest posts

Back