Piperazine Wormer - Safe fo Rabbits???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANH Rabbitry

Reaction score
Hello everone. I got a question for you all. Does anyone know if the wormer - Piperazine, is safe for rabbits? And if so, what doeage do they get?

I had read somewhere (of course, I know can't remember where), that Piperazine (used in dogs and cats - also sold as poultry and swine wormer as well) was used to worm rabbits. I picked up some at Tractor Supply Co. the other day (brand name D-Worm - for dogs and cats.) I saw that KW Cages sells it in their catalog, but it's a different kind/brand name- I think you just ad it to the rabbits water or something! I have asked a few rabbit buddies about this wormer, and no one knows anything about it, and I haven't been able to find much info on the web about it, or what it's proper dose for a rabbit is.

I just have never wormed any of my rabbits before (I have been raising them for 2 years almost), and I figured they could probably all use a good worming. I know some people say to worm only once a year, others say every 6 months, and others every 3 months... I guess it depends on what wormer you use, and how effective it is to each particular rabbit to determin how offten they need to be wormed.

Also, do y'all know of any other good wormers that are safe for rabbits? I know Ivomec is good, and someone had mentioned Safeguard to me - but are their any others?

Thanks in advance to everone!
Ashlee

Rabbits raised in cages do not usually require routine worming unless you live in an area where parasites are prevalent where they may pick up worms from contaminated green feed. That said, in areas where there are no hard frosts to kill off parasites, routine worming may be necessary.

Do you see any signs of worms in your rabbits? If not, I suggest you consider feeding pumpkin or squash seeds (NOT those intended for planting) instead of using a chemical wormer. These seeds are very nutritious as well as having the ability to paralyze parasites thus allowing them to be expelled. A tablespoon or so a day for a week or two should do the job. I grow pumpkins for the rabbits. They enjoy the flesh as well as the seeds, but for some reason mine prefer their pumpkin lightly microwaved rather than raw. :shrug:

My rabbits all live in raise cages (so nothing is on the ground), but here (SW Louisiana) parasites are a problem for most aniamls most of the year, so that is the main reason I was wanting to give everone a good worming - I just don't want them stay healthy, you know! We don't have much of a real winter, and when it does get cold down here, it doesn't stay cold verry long. I think it was back up in the 80's today (it got down to the mid 30's earlier this week!) Crazy Louisiana weather for you! LOL! I also have a few Jr. does shareing a cage, so I figured they might need to be wormed because of that.

I really appreaciate you suggesting to use the pumpkin or squash seeds though - I would much rather use natural things than the chemical wormer stuff!!! We normally grow squash in the summer (but this year, it all died because of no rain!), but we don't grow any pumpkins - just have a couple my mom bought for Fall dictorations. Is it ok to give them dried seeds - not the kind to plant, but like the ones you buy from the store to eat?

Ashlee

Yes, absolutely you can give them the dried seeds intended for people food. Raw seeds are more effective than roasted.

In your area, however, you may want to use a chemical wormer once in a while. There are high risk areas where the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I'm not in a position to advise you, but do look into the pumpkin seeds as a possibility. There is a lot of information available online. Here's one link to start you off:

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_pumpkin.htm

Thanks for that link! Looks like the pumpkin would even be good to give to my goats as well! LOL! I know they do love pumpkin (that's where last years fall decoration pumpkins went after Thanksgiving!) Didn't really know it was good for them, just had though of it as a treat for them! LOL!

But yeah, I figure where I live down here in the South, it would probably be a good idea to worm my rabbits, at least maybe a couple times a year with the chemical wormers - just as prevention, as I don't want them to become sick from worms. But know nowing about the pumpkin as well, and useing that, it will also help as well.

Thanks,
Ashlee

Back